Advanced search

Retraining whilst living overseas

(9 Posts)
SingSung Thu 10-Jan-13 10:56:31

University of Nottingham do a distance learning PGCEi, the I meaning international. Not recognised as a qualification in the UK but good for international schools. Part time too.

stilldazed Thu 10-Jan-13 09:19:12

ripsishere I actually have a TEFL (even though I don't have a degree) and found exactly the same thing, all the work is in the evening when I need/want to be home with DCs. I'm going to give OU ago knowing thatt I am working towards something will be good....prices are a bit scary!

KobayashiMaru Thu 10-Jan-13 00:44:35

also of course you would need a primary degree in order to do the PGCE. Bear in mind that international fees for the OU are at least 2-3 times the UK price.

KobayashiMaru Thu 10-Jan-13 00:42:40

you can't do a concentrated TEFL course without a degree, you'd have to do the one that takes a year.

ripsishere Thu 10-Jan-13 00:30:22

Be aware though, some places that offer the TA qualification are reluctant due to having to fly/train an assessor out.
I have a TESOL qualification. I've never used it. The hours don't' fit in with my life. I am not keen on being out from 6-10pm.

LIZS Wed 09-Jan-13 19:27:41

You usually need a placement to get a TA qualification as you'd need to write up how the theory is applied in practice with examples and have someone supervising your work experience so that you are involved in a range of activities. That may still be possible in a local British or International school.

stilldazed Wed 09-Jan-13 19:22:19

Thank you briochedoree!!! thats exactly what I wanted to know! it is possible to do a PGCE overseas? so totally worth me doing a ou degree working towards that. Do you know if you can do a TA qualification whilst overseas.

thanks again!

BriocheDoree Wed 09-Jan-13 15:04:50

If you want to teach you can either get a TEFL and teach English or if you want to teach in an international school you can look at the Distance PGCE (overseas) from Sunderland university. Takes a year and you need an international school to accept you to do your teaching practise.
Plenty of distance learning business qualifications available, too, depending on what you want to do.
I was going to retrain but ended up teaching as someone offered me a job! I am now considering retraining as a teacher but most likely I will train as a teaching assistant first and consider taking a PGCE if / when I return to the UK.

stilldazed Wed 09-Jan-13 09:10:45

been a sahm for 5 years previously i was in very highly paid middle managment sales type job. The sector I worked in has been massively effected by the recession and all though i still have contacts there really are no opportunities. The thing is I have no degree or real qualifications (other then A levels) so what do i do? I am looking at an OU course but I need to study something that I could use to get a job at the end, I am overseas and may be moving to another country in a year or so.

What do I do, I want to go back to work soon, do I try and get a business qualification or try to get into teaching? is that even possible from overseas? I have always liked the idea of working in aninternational school. I don't know what to do, but my biggest fear is doing nothing and letting another 5 years pass. Please give me some words of wisdom, any one retrained whilst being overseas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now