Advanced search

Singapore folk - can you help this mum re choosing a hospital for her baby?

(7 Posts)
FlimFlamMerrilyOnHigh Tue 18-Dec-12 07:50:47

See the thread here
I don't have much experience of the hospitals here (only orthopedics in Raffles, which was good). Can you help? I think she needs to see a paed specialist in genetics/neurological/gastro, though not entirely sure. Her DD is not growing, not putting on weight, and they haven't found a cause yet.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 18-Dec-12 08:42:51

waves at FlimFlam

I'm the hapless mum in question. Baby needs secondary specialist work up. Failure to thrive with neurological implications, hypotonia and poor feeding. Low T4 and white matter but otherwise every result / test negative...


Thank you!

butterfliesinmytummy Tue 18-Dec-12 09:17:08

I've responded on your other thread... Firstly I would ask your current doctors in Bangkok who they would recommend in singapore. Secondly, if they can't come up with anyone (and I would be surprised if they couldn't as the medical world in asia is very small), I would go to kk women and children's hospital. If anyone in singapore has seen your dds condition before, it will have been at this hospital. Hope young et some answers really soon x

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 18-Dec-12 11:12:16

Thank you! I saw the message. Poor thing sad

laptopwieldingharpy Wed 19-Dec-12 01:33:39

Hi Ophelia,

Just saw this post.
I would also strongly recommend you get referred to KKK.

All private hospitals mentioned are ace and will b very happy to work with your expat insurance and lining up lots of (very competent) specialists but it will be a very similar experience to Burumgrad and they will remain totally noncommittal before referring you to KKK for anything serious.

I had DD under the care a top 5 ob-gyn, great private hospital etc…

When the 20week scan showed a whole in her heart they referred me to their old professors at KKK (ob-gyn + pediatric cardio) and would not confirm the diagnosis until KKK did so.

The idea is that its a huge teaching hospital that sees many more cases than any private practice would eve see. They keep much more records too.
So I guess am saying go straight to KKK for diagnosis.

Safe travels!

OpheliasWeepingWillow Wed 19-Dec-12 03:25:05

Thanks so much laptop!

DingdongMerliononhigh Wed 19-Dec-12 03:54:29

I would also recommend KKK. Our paediatrician was formerly head of paediatric medicine at KKK and when she detected a heart murmur in dd at one month old we were referred there to the paediatric cardiologist. I can provide her details if you still need it although from your other thread looks like you have an action plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now