Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of returning home with 2 year old DS, what do I need to know re pre/primary school places and everything else?

(5 Posts)
SchnappsDamnYou Thu 13-Dec-12 17:56:45

In April we will have been expats for two tax years and are thinking of heading back to the UK. It's just not working out for us, DH is working stupid hours just as bad as UK if not worse,despite promises when we came out about work life balance and we miss out on time with family and friends so much.

We have toddler DS who will be 2.4 in April. I won't have a job and will be SAHM initially but if we stay here DS would be starting nursery - preschool in September aged 2.9. Would plan to do similar in the UK and get a job if possible once he is in nursery so how do I go about investigating local schools, putting his name down etc whilst still overseas? Do i have to wait til we are back in UK? We would be based in London N4. DS is first child so not had any experience with UK school system before.

Many thanks

LIZS Thu 13-Dec-12 19:26:40

Schools aren't relevant at the moment. Preschools attached to primaries have a separate application process to that for a Reception place (your ds wouldn't start until September 2015) but you may find he won't qualify for a place at a LA funded preschool until the September after he is 3. If you know where you will be living look at the Local Authority/Borough website under Early Years for advice on what is available in the area both privately and LA run. There is funding available for 15 hours per week starting the term after his 3rd birthday (probably January 2014 in your case). For private ones you can certainly apply for a place from abroad.

SchnappsDamnYou Fri 14-Dec-12 12:34:20

Thanks very much.

MistyB Fri 14-Dec-12 15:58:34

You may want to think about primary school though if you prefer to move once into the catchment area of a school that you like.

SchnappsDamnYou Fri 14-Dec-12 18:52:25

We have a home in N4 which we have rented out, the tenancy ends in April so we would initially just go back to there. The local primaries and nurseries are all quite good. I'm not sure how to get DS in but will look at local authority site. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now