Advanced search

Speeding fine and points in France

(7 Posts)
femmeaufoyer Sun 11-Nov-12 11:38:29

Hi, I'm English living in France with a French-registered car. I have a UK driving licence. I have received a speeding ticket through the post and was wondering whether the points I'm due will be added to my UK driving licence? Or is it just the fine I'm liable for.

AuldAlliance Sun 11-Nov-12 13:25:25

In theory, they could contact the UK and the points would be deducted.

I suspect that it will depend on how zealously they follow you up. They'll have to use the reciprocal agreement to get the UK to deduct points.

TBH, they may well be happy to take your cash and let the points slide, to avoid the cost and hassle of deducting them.

sommewhereelse Sun 11-Nov-12 13:33:41

I have changed my driving license to a French one (because the photo was out of date) but prior to this I was in your situation and I got caught by a speed camera. I paid the fine and was told that the French authorities were entitled to force me to change my license to a French one and then change the points but it was never followed up. This incident was 7 years ago.

BriocheDoree Sun 11-Nov-12 19:57:58

Technically you should change to à French licence. If you are only here for a short while I wouldn't worry. I know someone who didn't change their licence and had a hefty fine. Depends if your local commissariat decides to follow up on it or not. If you are staying in France longer term you should probably change it. Either way you get the points back after a period (6 months?)

BarbieDahl Sun 11-Nov-12 20:03:00

I don't know about points or fine but you have to change your license to a french one .You can do this for free at your local préfecture but I think you need to do it within a certain time limit.
I also think it's at least a year before you get your points back.

PetiteRaleuse Sun 25-Nov-12 15:14:20

They will probably tell you to go to your local gendarmerie or préfecture and change to a French licence. I've been here for 14 years and haven't done it yet but I know that as soon as I get done for speeding or whatever I will get told to go and do it so they can take the points... Happened recently to a friend.

Booboostoo Fri 07-Dec-12 21:43:41

No you do not have to change your license to a French one even if you live in France full time. You can live and drive in any EU country with a calid license from any other EU country.

However if you do get points the French can then ask you to surrender your UK license for a French one with the points on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now