Talk

Advanced search

Serviced apartments in Hong Kong

(7 Posts)
Missymoomum Thu 25-Oct-12 09:26:09

Hi all, i was hoping someone could help. We are living in China but my 4 yr old dd is going to Hong Kong next month for an operation at Matilda Hospital. We will need to stay in Hong Kong for about a week as due to a risk of post operative bleeding her surgeon has said she will need to stay in HK for 4-5 days post op but this doesn't need to be in hospital. I'll be going obviously, but as we've got to go for so long we thought we'd make it a bit of a holidayso my dh and ds will come too and my mum is now coming over from the UK to be an extra pair of hands. A friend of mine suggested maybe a serviced apartment would be a better place to stay rather than a hotel especially if my dd is recovering from an op but i wouldn't know where to look so i thought of coming on here as i know a lot of you are living in HK.
So my questions are: can you recommend anywhere that is reasonably priced (insurance company aren't paying for our accommodation or flights so it can't break the bank!), do you know of anywhere that is near Matilda Hospital, do you know of any reasonably priced hotels that accommodate 2 adults and 2 children (it doesn't matter if my mum has a separate hotel room)?
Thanks in advance

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sun 28-Oct-12 12:20:43

I think the Matilda actually have their own serviced apartments on site- maybe check with them. In fact I'm almost sure they do because they have mainlanders coming over to have their babies there.

The problem with Matilda is that it's stuck up on the Peak and there are no hotels/ SAs nearby. The nearest would be the Garden View Hotel on Macdonnell Road which is pretty reasonably priced, or Bishops Lei on Robinson Road. All HK island hotels are expensive, but those are fairly reasonable and right at the bottom of the road that goes to the Peak. Opposite the Garden View are some serviced apartments called 2 Macdonell Road, but not sure how pricey they are.

The other place that might work is the Cosmopolitan Hotel on Queens Road East by the racetrack. Quite easy to get to the Peak via Stubbs Road. Just make sure they give you a high floor as can be noisy. My MIL just stayed there and said was nice.

A lot of serviced apartments in HK are minimum 1 month (it's a legal thing- they're not allowed to do short lets as don't have the right license). They may let for shorter times but you'd have to call them and enquire- they wont advertise it.

HTH

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sun 28-Oct-12 12:22:40

ps- I had both my children at Matilda. Lovely hospital. I recommend the chocolate brownies :-)

laptopwieldingharpy Tue 30-Oct-12 09:33:44

There is nothing on the peak so I would also suggest enquiring about family accommodation within the Matilda.
I was going to say the cosmopolitan in causeway bay too. In that area, avoid the Emperor like the plague. No first hand experience but is best known for its basement "club".

You could look at the Ovolo serviced apartments. I do think they have weekly rates.
There is a one on Arbuthnot road.
If you take your taxi on the hotel doorstep going towards the left, it leads straight into magazine gap road and up to the peak without getting stuck into the LKF traffic.
Again, aim for a high floor are you are litteraly sitting on top of party central.
But, if you forget about what's down below, you are a 2mn walk from the entrance of the botanical gardens and the peak tram which would take you to/from the peak very quickly.
Richman? what do you think?

laptopwieldingharpy Tue 30-Oct-12 09:35:05

PS: sorry for your poor DD and hope all goes well. You'll be well taken care of at the Matilda.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Tue 30-Oct-12 11:06:53

Yeah, that could work. I would worry a bit about the noise from Wyndham at the weekend so definitely ask them for a high floor but these buildings are usually triple glazed so shouldnt be too bad

Missymoomum Thu 01-Nov-12 07:02:42

Thank you both so much smile , your info is so helpful, i would never have thought about getting higher floors to escape the noise for example! I shall check these recommendations out. Since posting the secretary of my daughter's surgeon has emailed me and mentioned the hospital's own serviced apartments but i'm waiting for her to get back to me about price and if they're big enough to accommodate 3 adults and 2 children.

It's also great to hear good feedback about the hospital itself - very reassuring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now