Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Paris - Affordable English Speaking/Bilingual Primary Schools

(5 Posts)
Emmis Sun 21-Oct-12 12:30:09

First of all I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed before blush, but I have found it hard finding information on an affordable (less than 9k/annum/child) primary school in Paris for our two children.

We would also be particularly interested in finding a more progressive, creative school for our children. They are in a very traditional international school in the Netherlands at the moment but I would really love to see their more creative spirits fed!

We would be more than happy with a bilingual French/English school, but our children do not speak French. I'm not sure if they would need to have some level of French in order to attend. They are currently in Years 2 (age 6-7) and Years 5 (age 9-10) in their current school.

I would so appreciate the feedback! smile

Thank you in advance!

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 21-Oct-12 14:19:58

I would say EAB for bilingual, but don't think it can be described as either "progressive" or "creative." The Lennen School (no idea what fees are) may be worth looking at.

natation Sun 21-Oct-12 19:01:39

Lennen bilingual school is way above budget.

There is this school, currently says it's up to age 9. Progressive looking at the website and also hors contrat, meaning it can teach what it wants and means also can be a law unto itself. Fees not listed, might be above budget.
www.livingschool.fr/en/pages/our-school

Another hors contrat north of Paris which is Montessori. Just in budget.
www.livingschool.fr/en/pages/our-school

A sous contrat (least I think it is) west of Paris, not French/English but has an English page so must attract anglophones. Under budget.
www.ecoleperceval.com/spip.php?article91

Then there is EAB (already mentioned), EAB JM, the lycee in St Germain-en-Laye, all sous contrat, don't think any could be considered progressive.

natation Sun 21-Oct-12 19:04:01

sorry wrong link, the Montessori north of Paris.
www.ecolemontessori95.com/English/index-4.html

Bonsoir Sun 21-Oct-12 21:18:57

I honestly and truthfully cannot think of any school in Paris that is progressive and/or creative and that costs under 9k/annum. All schools in France, unless they are hors contrat (and basically outside any kind of law or governance so you need to be very careful) follow the French NC which is anything but creative. The whole point of the French education system is to make all schools similar and it does a good job.

The school which has, IMO, the best accommodation of creativity within the French NC is the Ecole Alsacienne. It is very over-subscribed and doesn't take children who don't speak French and aren't up to speed on the French NC.

If you are arriving from abroad with children who don't speak French, your best bet is to put them in the adaptation/immersion programme at EABJM or EaB and then to look around for a school for the following year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now