Talk

Advanced search

Dd may be going to Austrailia for a year, can anyone talk practicalities with me?

(11 Posts)
lilibet Fri 12-Oct-12 12:53:21

We would appreciate advice on banks, jobs, housing costs and probably a hundred other things.

Thanks in advance

mathanxiety Sat 13-Oct-12 06:15:35

What skills does she have that would get her an easily available casual job? Could she wait tables (has she ever done this before?) or tend bar? A cousin of mine travelled all over Oz and NZ for the better part of a year and was never without a bartending job. There were always places looking for an Irish bartender. Does she have references for the sort of jobs she might be looking for (assuming she will be working while there)..

SavoyCabbage Sat 13-Oct-12 07:07:48

Is she coming in her own? Is she wanting to travel the whole time or stay in one place. There are hostels all over the place.

For a school holiday job she could try the vacation care playschemes like camp Australia www.campaustralia.com.au/staff/join-the-team.aspx

The cost of living is high.

C0smos Sat 13-Oct-12 07:13:41

Check out the commonwealth bank of Australia websites, it was much easier to open an account there than here but that might have changed

Purplehonesty Sat 13-Oct-12 07:16:26

She will need a travel visa and a work visa

You can set up a bank account with Yorkshire bank in England or Clydesdale bank in Scotland which as they are part of national Australia group they will get a aus bank ac sorted for her before she goes.

Where is she planning to go? I found people in rural parts a lot more friendly and stayed on farms helping out etc

It's v expensive to rent a flat or 'unit' as they call them shed be better off with hostels if travelling or room renting.
Bus travel cheap but lengthy! Internal flights v expensive
South Australia is lovely, tell her to check out kangaroo and fletcher island for quiet spots and beaches
Hope she has gun

Purplehonesty Sat 13-Oct-12 07:16:59

Fun!! She won't need her gun

WhatSheSaid Sat 13-Oct-12 07:22:18

Is she going on a year's working holiday visa?

I did this 15 years ago with no Skype, email or mobile phone. Going for months without contact with family - amazing to think of that now.

The hostels are really well set up for working travellers, some have jobs that come through them and they have weekly rents. She'll meet loads of people doing the same thing. I had an amazing year (so good I now live permanently on this side of the world - in NZ, not Oz).

lilibet Sat 13-Oct-12 21:23:04

Her bf (boy not best!) has been offered an 8 month contract playing rugby. They are hoping that the rugby club will help with them finding accommodation and visas, but she will probably have to work to cover bills/living.

I think their plan is to travel after his contract is up for as long as they can afford.

Dd is almost 24 and has done so many jobs, she is a qualified beautician, worked at that for 12 months then worked her way through uni by having two part time jobs, one on a beauty counter for Benefit and the other for an agency who did catering events from bar work to concerts to wating on the queen, she now has a graduate job and has arranged a career break. (Serious proud mother emoticon!)

The Yorkshire bank tip and references are great. When you say cost of living is high - cna you give me figures? Are there things like council tax and water rates? Any idea how much a week they would need to live?

Thanks.

lilibet Sat 13-Oct-12 21:23:36

Oh, they will be just outside of Canberra.

SavoyCabbage Sat 13-Oct-12 23:39:28

Here is a rental website real estate. I don't know what the costs of living are in ACT. Our rent in Melbourne is $550 a week for a three bedroomed house in the suburbs.

It sounds like a good way of doing it to me. Getting normal jobs and then going traveling.

Graciescotland Sat 13-Oct-12 23:41:55

Really easy to set up a bank account in Oz, just go in with your passport. I did this recently even although I was only over for three months on a tourist visa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now