Talk

Advanced search

North Shore, Auckland

(12 Posts)
meerkate Sat 06-Oct-12 08:43:09

Hi girls! I know there are several Aucklanders (home-grown and adopted) out there, and I would be so grateful for a bit of advice. We are based in the UK for now, but my husband is down your way at the moment - he's been looking into year-long jobs at North Shore Hospital, the outcome of which looks likely to be positive.

He is really keen to go out there - we have previously lived in Brisbane, Perth and in Dunedin most recently (2006) so the whole emigration upheaval is very familiar! I love NZ, but am worried about the isolation in the longer-term. However a year in gorgeous Auckland sounds too tempting to resist. In DH's eyes, that's very much 'a year with a view' - to the longer-term. He wouldn't hesitate to emigrate for good! I am keen to stay open-minded, but remember well how much I missed family and friends last time! We'll see...

Anyway, the main questions I have are about Auckland's North Shore - all the usual ones, first and foremost schools! I have two kids aged 11 (girl) and 9 (boy). Am I right in thinking that DD will be going into Middle School (new concept to me)? If we moved in July, I guess she would be starting the new school term at the end of July - in the UK she would be going into year 8, would that be the same in NZ (she turns 12 in May)? Do all year 8s go to Middle School or are some secondary schools like those in the UK i.e. start at age 11? Are there any particularly good ones in that area? Primary school info also much appreciated, for my son!

Thank you SO much for anything you can tell me - much appreciated smile

WhatSheSaid Sat 06-Oct-12 22:20:58

You might get more responses if you post this on the "where's best to live in nz' thread as it might get seen by more people.

NZ high school starts at age 13, ages 11 and 12 go to intermediate school. School year runs Feb to Dec so I guess if she turns 12 in May and starts in July she will start halfway through the first year of intermediate.

Most of the north shore is very nice, most, possibly all the intermediates and high schools are zoned. This site nzschools.tki.org.nz/mapfinderV3.php?main_listing_type_id=226&admin_toggle=false&map_toggle=false&search_toggle=true shows you zones, you can search by house address or school zone.

Generally the areas closer to the sea (east of the North Shore) are the more expensive but plenty of the inland areas are nice too.

I don't know much about specific schools on the Shore but they generally have a good reputation, I haven't heard of any bad ones. You can read ERO reports (like OFSTED) here www.ero.govt.nz/Early-Childhood-School-Reports/School-Reports.

Auckland is great smile

KiwiKat Sat 06-Oct-12 23:07:47

I'm a North Shore girl - currently living in London - it's a fantastic place and I wholeheartedly recommend living there for a while. Stunning place for kids. We'll be heading back there in the not-too-distant future.

justaboutiswarm Sun 07-Oct-12 01:11:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HermioneHatesHoovering Sun 07-Oct-12 08:49:53

North Shore resident of 26 years here originally from UK. 3 kids gone thru' school.
AFAIK there is one school that combines Intermediate and High School which is Albany Junior High, it's a fairly new school (5 years maybe) and a new concept here.
I think the majority (if not all) schools on the Shore are now zoned so you have to live in the catchment area to get in.
High School I would recommend Rangitoto College over Long Bay College.
Intermediate Schools I have knowledge of are Northcross and Murrays Bay.
Feel free to pm me if I can help further.

meerkate Sun 07-Oct-12 13:24:03

Ooh you dear, helpful souls - thank you all so much. I am getting quite excited about the whole North Shore concept, I have to say...been googling away quietly and methodically of an evening...and, yes, starting to gather that schools seem to be VERY strictly zoned and that renting in the right location is KEY - eek! Part of me has a distinct slumping-of-shoulders reaction to the prospect of starting all over like this - I'm guessing most rentals are unfurnished, for instance - argh!! -but MOST of me thinks, YAY, what an opportunity smile

I am going to look into all the info leads you've given me and get back to you. Whatshesaid, I have spent some time on that thread recently, and it's been helpful - thanks, I may post on it too smile Guess I was slightly intimidated by how well all you girls seem to know each other already on it, that's all, but I won't let that hold me back now!

Quick, off-at-a-tangent question to justa - you're not the REVEREND justa are you??? Bcs a few years ago I used to post as katiek123 on the meditation forum, along with you and pink fluffy and peanut brittle. If you're the same justa you will know what I'm talking about, and if you're not, you'll be backing away slowly now grin

Okay girls, thanks again wholeheartedly. I am off to delve into the murky internet world of deciles and NZ school zones. My daughter started school in NZ, actually, down in Dunedin - I remember thinking how funny it was to start on your actual 5th birthday - but it all worked out very well and it was a great little school, which we were sorry to leave.

Back soon smile

justaboutiswarm Sun 07-Oct-12 19:45:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meerkate Sun 07-Oct-12 20:08:43

NO WAY!!!!! Justa, I cannot tell you how happy that makes me. That's it - FATE HAS SPOKEN grin How on earth did you end up in NZ?! Tell all immediately! Do you know that peanutbrittle is one of my closest and dearest RL friends? And I am still in touch with pinkfluffy too, who doesn't live so far away from me, really, though we have never quite got around to meeting! She emailed me just yesterday in fact - she is going to be SO tickled. They both are! How long are you there for? Are you happy with the move? I will PM you (if I can work out how to do that grin) so as not to bore others with my inane squeaks of excitement any longer smile

meerkate Sun 07-Oct-12 20:15:09

I know how to PM!!! slightly embarrassed now not to have ever done so before blush

kakapo Mon 08-Oct-12 18:22:31

I'm from the North Shore, and recommend Long Bay College over Rangitoto grin

Just a note, if you're in Albany they have a different system. There are two fairly new schools there: Albany Junior High is years 7-10 (age 11-14) and it feeds into Albany Senior High, which is years 11-13 (age 15-17). Rather than the usual Intermediate (y7-8)/College (y9-13) deal.

meerkate Mon 08-Oct-12 20:12:47

Thanks kakapo. I had a look at some of the school websites last night - one thing I will say, the quality of the sites is very high! I did gather than Albany was different, as had already been mentioned. Gosh it's difficult...I suspect that fate will intervene in terms of where we can find a semi-decent rental! I note that the estate agents' websites are totally switched onto the school issue, which tells its own story - I can see this is going to be THE key issue!!

kakapo Mon 08-Oct-12 22:44:01

Sounds like you're on to it then meerkate! If you want to have a nosey at house rentals, then you can search for houses for rent in the areas you're interested in on Trademe. Just go to "real estate" in the drop down menu, type in the suburb of interest in the next box and press search. You can then choose "for Rent" in the horizontal green box. Good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now