Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Abuja anyone? Warts and all!

(13 Posts)
justonemorethread Thu 06-Sep-12 21:00:48

Hello
Well I seem to often post asking about random African countries for jobs that never end up materialising ... but hey ho!

DH would like to have my go ahead to apply for a job in Abuja. I only ever say yes to applying with the view that I would be happy to go if he got it.

So, I did live in Lagos not too long ago, and overall it was a good experience, so I know a bit about Nigeria.

But I know Abuja is very different so need some perspective...

What's it like with young children (6 and 3)?

Do you spend Sundays counting the minutes of the day because there is nothing to do and nowhere to go? (one of my memories of Lagos)

Is malaria very common?

What are the school options like? (IMPORTANT!)

Is there a good social life and expat morale? (this was one of the great things in Lagos)

Thanks so much! I will keep bumping until I get a reply....!!!
smile

justonemorethread Thu 06-Sep-12 21:38:56

bump!

justonemorethread Fri 07-Sep-12 06:50:56

Nobody, really?

unobtanium Fri 07-Sep-12 10:01:27

Wish I could help. I know West Africa, incl Lagos and Kano... you are made of stern stuff if you coped well in Lagos with little ones...

Never been to Abuja, but expect it will be "pleasanter", much smaller, with very little infrastructure. Probably good expat scene due to the diplomatic missions I should imagine. Apparently a large amusement park is in the process of being built...

Daily power cuts will probably still be the norm.

For schools etc, I have no idea but there may be something there for the British and American diplomat families and foreign businesses.

Sorry not to be of more help and good luck!

justonemorethread Fri 07-Sep-12 13:26:38

Thanks! Doesn't look like there's many mumsnetters in Nigeria!

justonemorethread Sat 08-Sep-12 15:46:21

Last

justonemorethread Sat 08-Sep-12 15:46:46

...bump!

justonemorethread Thu 13-Sep-12 19:48:35

Well moth as well give it a little bump. Can't hurt anyone.

justonemorethread Thu 13-Sep-12 19:49:17

Moth? Might.

lockitt Thu 13-Sep-12 19:55:30

hopefully I can help a little.dp is from Nigeria and know a lot of nigerians who would say the same.Abuja is prob the best city for infrastructure in Nigeria and seems to be the most favoured due to its size.you don't get the crazy traffic like lagos but its still well connected for flights.

his sis lives there with her 2 young children who seem very happy.haven't yet been myself but know a British person who is thinking of moving there after visiting a couple of times

hth

justonemorethread Sat 22-Sep-12 07:51:08

Thanks lockitt! Sorry Ir took so long to reply! Every bit of information helps!

ElaineBenes Thu 27-Sep-12 06:51:50

I had a colleague who was in Abuja with small kids who raved about it. Good expat life because not much else to do! Very expensive though and things have deteriorated in northern Nigeria safety wise.

solittletime Fri 28-Sep-12 20:43:36

Nice to hear something positive! Always heartening. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now