Talk

Advanced search

Shipping US to Netherlands?

(13 Posts)
newbie24 Thu 21-Jun-12 04:03:50

Hello everyone,
We're in the process of relocating from the US to NL and are in search of a recommendation for a shipper. Anyone have any insights?
Thanks!

newbie24 Wed 11-Jul-12 02:55:03

Me again.. and although a few weeks closer to our move, still no closer to finding a mover sad
So, we are desperately looking for a recommendation for an international mover from US to Europe. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

AlpinePony Wed 11-Jul-12 06:32:51

Are you paying for this yourself or is it funded by your company?

If yourself, google shipping companies found at the docks depending on where you are, and start phoning/mailing. Rotterdam/Antwerp are massive ports - this will always be the cheapest & easiest way to do it. I don't have any recommendations from your end, but when friends moved from here back to the Carolinas, they just phoned around the ports until they found someone. They turned up, packed everything up in boxes and 5 weeks later it turned up in the US.

If the company is paying, take your pick.

newbie24 Wed 11-Jul-12 14:36:35

Thanks for the reply. We are paying for it ourselves... so obviously price is a consideration although safe arrival and no hassle is also critical. We were hoping to find a recommendation, it's always nice to hear first hand that someone was happy with a service. Specifically, anyone hear of Rainier Overseas Movers? At the moment we are talking to them and they sound like they know what they are doing, but also a bit pricey compared to others.

AlpinePony Wed 11-Jul-12 15:53:50

Have you tried asking on a US site? Reason I ask is that you're probably more likely to come across an American who's moved to NL, rather than asking on a British site for knowledge about an American company involved with Europe...

newbie24 Wed 11-Jul-12 17:54:12

Yes, of course, I posted in a few other places too but I just thought maybe someone here had made the move back to Europe/UK from the US and had some insights... Thanks though thanks

newbie24 Tue 28-Aug-12 16:33:03

Quick update here, we are now "after" the big move from the US to NL and all went well. Rainier did a wonderful job with the shipment (through a few agents, we never really did deal with Rainier proper beyond the initial inquiry but their partners both in US and NL were excellent and all was seamless). Now we are acclimating to our new life in NL and are very happy to be at this stage. Thanks and best of luck to all relocating families - never easy, but usually well worth the effort smile

BaronessBomburst Sun 09-Sep-12 02:13:37

Glad it went well for you! There are quite a few MN in NL. Try starting a new thread and we'll get a chat going. Have you tried the stroopwafels yet?

newbie24 Sun 09-Sep-12 21:19:20

Ah, stroopwafels - yes! They are dangerous things, aren't they...? But by far the most enjoyable food for me is the fresh produce at the market, loving that!

Engelsemama Thu 11-Oct-12 19:24:27

Welcome to NL newbie ! Where are you based? (or maybe you have another thread that answers that question!)

AlisonDB Wed 17-Oct-12 13:43:52

you think Stroopwaffels are yummy, just wait till you try Pepernoten!
where are you based Newbie?

newbie24 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:04:03

Pepernoten tried, and yes, they too are wonderful... We're in Hilversum.

dikkertjedap Wed 24-Oct-12 20:19:05

Appeltaart and rijstevlaai are the real deal IMO and also all the puddings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now