Condo vs. town house

(4 Posts)
LoopyLoopsCorgiPoops Mon 18-Jun-12 22:59:56

Only 2 1/2 weeks until we go to KL...

I was wondering if you experienced expatters could list the pros and cons of condo vs. townhouse life please? The swimming pool and security seem to be the main on favour of condo, space and price for houses. Am I missing more?

OP’s posts: |
MarjorieAntrobus Tue 19-Jun-12 12:13:38

Hi Loopy!

Your summary is right.

Most condos have loads of facilities like gym, pool, shop, restaurant, squash courts, swings. Even dry cleaner and hairdresser in some! Because of that there is a community feel and always people around to talk to, if that's what you want. Also various activities like fitness classes. Yes, security is good. Also it's good to have maintenance people on hand all the time. Some condos have guest rooms you can rent for visitors, and that is useful.

I think small children and balconies are a bad mix so that would be a worry for me in a condo if I had young DC.

The people I know in houses have brought more of their own furniture and belongings so their houses look more, well, homely. It's probably because if you are shipping your whole household you actually need the space of a house and so wouldn't consider a condo. I think it would be possible to feel quite isolated in a house, having to make an effort to go out just to see another face. Also a second car could be necessary as the houses are more off the beaten track than the condos.

Some houses are in gated communities and the security then is good. Otherwise, yes, it's less secure than condo-living.

LoopyLoopsCorgiPoops Tue 19-Jun-12 22:49:52

Hi Marjorie thanks for that smile

I think you'r in KL (do I have that right?) If so, any condo recommendations for Bangsar but cheapish? Do we want to be in Bangsar?

OP’s posts: |
MarjorieAntrobus Tue 19-Jun-12 23:46:42

I'll pm you Loopy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in