Family day care in Oz?

(17 Posts)
tooscary Mon 16-Apr-12 10:45:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Sharksandfishes Mon 16-Apr-12 10:59:16

I think(from talking to other mums - so not necessarily true!) family day care is quite regulated actually. They are not allowed to go to playgroups, only official "family day care" ones. They can't have non-family day care kids over for playdates and I think they have to report to the council what activities they do.

I didn't use them because they couldn't tell me what days they had available untill I applied, which didn't help when I was looking for a job.

Where are you?

tooscary Mon 16-Apr-12 12:11:56

gregssausageroll Mon 16-Apr-12 13:53:58

We used our local nursery equivalent. I looked at family day care but chose against it but I can't for the life of me remember why!

What puts you off daycare?

tooscary Mon 16-Apr-12 14:07:52

differentnameforthis Tue 17-Apr-12 01:00:57

They are not allowed to go to playgroups, only official "family day care" ones

That certainly isn't true for South Australia. At the playgroup I ran we had 2/3 family day care groups (meaning carer/children) at any one time & we were a run of the mill playgroup.

Sharksandfishes Tue 17-Apr-12 05:06:18

We're in NSW so maybe its different. It could also be different rules for different councils! I did say it was mum-gossip! smile

Advertisement

thepigflu Tue 17-Apr-12 05:43:44

Family day care workers need to have a certificate (not sure if it's 3 or 4) in order to be registered and therefore eligible for govt subsidies. The child health nurse where I live is about to start family day care but she has to do a tafe course first, I know the woman who runs the tafe course, there are no short cuts. I don't know what the rules are about going to playgroups etc. I can't get my kids into family day care as it's so booked up but I am dreading the colds when my kids start back at daycare ( currently on mat leave).

AllThreeWays Tue 17-Apr-12 05:54:25

Here in the ACT (but I believe it is Australia wide) family day carers must hold or we working towards and childcare qualification. Their property must meet stringent safety regulations and they have strict guidelines about food transport and programming. The carer is supervised by the community organisation that runs the program and there is much paper work and recording. They must also hold first aid qualifications and pay insurance. FDC is cheaper and more one on one than a centre.
I chose a centre because I felt that my 3month old DS would always have more than one pair of eyes on him and on his carer and as he couldn't speak for himself if something happened I feel more comfortable with this.
I have used FDC for both DD's but they were both 3+ when they started,

CornishMade Tue 17-Apr-12 14:44:25

What gave you the impression there are no requirements/inspections for FDC?! Oz-wide they need training before starting, must hold a first aid certificate, meet safety regs, checks, insurance etc etc as you would expect. They are called 'educators'. There is info on www.familydaycare.com.au/index.php/main/About%20Family%20Day%20Care#M39 and they have a pdf fact sheet too from this page which is helpful.
I'm not 100% sure about how often they are inspected once up and running, ie like Ofsted, but just ring your local centre and ask. Good luck!

chloeb2002 Tue 17-Apr-12 22:00:33

Not that i've used family day care here in QLD but they certainly do use playgroups kindy gym etc.. surely thats a good thing? I understand they are regulated and registered etc.

roary Thu 19-Apr-12 08:29:00

What about a nanny?

No idea about family day care but we are also in Perth and if you are only looking part time a nanny might be a good option.

migrant Thu 19-Apr-12 17:27:29

Hello! I've always used family day care and it's brilliant! Try phoning "Kwinana family day care" even if it's nowhere near you. They offer a brilliant service, you tell them what you need and then they put you in touch only with minders who can offer what you need. They inspect the minders rigorously but also offer lots of support and training.
If its not your area, I'm sure they can tell you who does cover your area. Lovely people.

tooscary Fri 20-Apr-12 07:10:41

sleeplessinsuburbia Fri 20-Apr-12 07:40:27

I have a couple of concerns about family daycare.

What happens if the carer / their children gets sick?

What if there's an accident / emergency and one carer is responsible for a group of toddlers/ infants?

What if they present as competent but aren't? How would you honestly know?

What if your child is the youngest/ oldest and either is stuck with a bunch of babies who aren't able to create relevant friendships etc or are sitting in a bouncer watching older kids?

What if they spend a disproportionate amount of time cleaning their house/ doing chores/ talking on the phone? How would you honestly know?

Very curious about this, in the end I chose daycare for the accountability level but realise it's not the family atmosphere.

tooscary Fri 20-Apr-12 12:04:12

CornishMade Fri 20-Apr-12 23:01:41

Ask them about the emergency and sickness situations - or the organising authority - they would have plans in place for this of course. Or perhaps with sickness at the carers you do have to just come from work, I don't know, but maybe that's a risk you take if you think your dc would thrive better in a smaller, family environment. Most people don't get sick that much!

You choose your childcarer, so when you visit you would ask about the other children (numbers, ages) that they have and you only go with them if it suits you and your preferences.
And once your dc is talking you'd find out what they do all day! smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in