Advanced search

Landlord insurance for property let in the UK

(31 Posts)
Superspudable Fri 20-Jan-12 08:07:19

If you have a property let in the UK, who is it insured with?

We have an unfurnished property in the UK which is rented out and it is currently insured with Simple Landlord Insurance. We've just had our renewal quote and it has a new clause which says they cannot insure our property if we are not resident in the UK for more than 183 days - which of course we're not... It's not small print, it's big and bold on the covering letter!!

Any recommendations??

BananaInPyjama Thu 14-Apr-16 01:40:34

I use Peacocks who are underwritten by Sun Alliance I think.
Cheapest I've seen and always great on the reminders!

flymo79 Wed 06-Apr-16 21:43:20

Marking place... Keen to hear about others' experiences with unfurnished lets

kashifmansoor Sat 26-Mar-16 11:15:53

Be careful of may of the insurance products and brokers are just scams. I have such experience with Endsleigh insurance services which seems to be complete ripoff as far as the landlord insurance is concerned.

afclll Tue 27-May-14 22:29:21

Use Alliance Financial Consultants in Birmingham 01216666686. They Fab. Deals with my landlord insurance. Agents do help as they check them properly, you can then manage yourself afterwards.

completelyconfused Tue 04-Mar-14 06:36:45

We just tried to renew our policy with Simply Business and they've said because we don't have a managing agent that they now can't insure us. Anyone else had this problem? We live abroad and rent out a London house, and my father-in-law lives locally and looks after it - not sure why we would need an agent? Was a case of 'computer says no' I think. Any tips appreciated.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 04-Feb-14 20:52:14

Another vote for Alan Boswell. We have unpaid rent insurance with them too.

Frozenatchristmas Tue 04-Feb-14 19:13:36

We used Aviva when we lived abroad.

For those who use direct line, just a word of warning, they do not include or have as an additional extra malicious damage cover - therefore, if a tenant trashes the place, you are not covered.

Isthiscorrect Mon 03-Feb-14 16:26:58

We use Alan Boswell and have done for the last 7 years. Dh shops around every year and compares quotes and tells AB. They insure 2 houses for us a three bed stone terrace and a 5 bed detached. We have never had to claim but they are very helpful. When my elderly mother forgot to renew they sent me an email asking me to check with her she had new coverage as they weren't getting a reply (I had paid online for her). And they kept the coverage in place whilst I tracked my mum down and then made the payment.

ZamMummyInGabs Mon 03-Feb-14 14:42:40

We also use Portwood in Bishop Auckland (4 years) & found them to be excellent on renewals & with claims.

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 02-Feb-14 21:38:28

We've used sainsburys landlord insurance for about 6 years now, we have buildings and contents as it's a semi furnished lease. Our rebuild cost is really high as it's a listed building but sainsbos have unlimited rebuild costs. It's pretty reasonable.

tkj123tracy Sun 02-Feb-14 14:01:48

Has anyone ever used Just Landlords Insurance? Were they any good?

nicolam86 Thu 29-Mar-12 10:39:04

I got a really good deal through Buy To Let Landlord Solutions.

westcoastnortherner Sat 11-Feb-12 06:38:33

We had one through nationwide

Superspudable Fri 10-Feb-12 18:56:23

Thanks for the advise all - went with Alan Boswell in the end, which is an Aviva policy. Came out well price-wise for good cover!

Kellywestie Thu 26-Jan-12 16:27:36

We have several rental properties and use an insurance broker called B. Portwood & Co Ltd who are based in Bishop Auckland. We have always had excellent service and letters to say if they have found cheaper insurance when renewals come up. Would definitely recommend. We live in the UK and have moved our home insurance to them as well. Would be worth a call or email to see if they can help you.

Imperfectionist Wed 25-Jan-12 21:15:50

Sorry, one more detail why I recommend Marsh - they've paid out in full on two cases of accidental damage by tenants, which really saved us a lot of money.

Imperfectionist Wed 25-Jan-12 21:14:51

Over the years, sorry, not year. Link here

Imperfectionist Wed 25-Jan-12 21:14:02

Marsh insurance. They specialise in looking after British expats overseas, and we also insure our overseas belongings with them. They have paid out in full for several claims over the year, without hesitation or much paperwork. Excellent customer service, it's a pleasure to recommend them (makes a change - I wouldn't say the same about our letting agents!)

scaryteacher Wed 25-Jan-12 19:05:49

I use Aviva, and am not in the UK.

IdontknowwhyIcare Tue 24-Jan-12 08:09:31

We used Alan Boswell, competitive and very very helpful.

JuliaJeanne Mon 23-Jan-12 23:36:26

We use Endsleigh Landlords' Insurance and are not resident in the UK. It works out at about 460pounds per annum to insure a large (5 bed) London terrace. I don't know how it compares with other policies - it was competitive when we started and I've got a bit lazy about shopping around...

natation Fri 20-Jan-12 22:38:08

Our insurance policy covers anything which cannot be moved - I am rather attached to my Dutch Elm floor - you cannot buy it now, it has been there a long time, no insurance could cover it being replaced as it cannot be, I'm not sure how we could claim for it :-( The only thing we have left in the house which is not covered are the blinds and curtains, most of which came with the house, but I have noticed many have been taken down anyway - we have an excellent tenant who has made the house nicer than it was, we told her she could do what she wanted as long as it wasn't black or dark brown!

CornishMade Fri 20-Jan-12 22:24:25

If you don't get landlords contents insurance, just be aware that buildings insurance only won't cover the curtains/blinds, carpets/flooring, kitchen, white goods, lights, or any other built-in thing like wardrobes etc, if there were a fire or other damage to them. So Landlords contents insurance covers those things, but it's not a full contents insurance for possessions - that is up to the tenants to buy for their own stuff.

natation Fri 20-Jan-12 18:08:01

We are with Direct Line, 4 bed in small provincial town, less than £200 a year, buildings only as the tenant pays for contents.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 20-Jan-12 16:51:13

Letsure was the one we used. Ours was a two bed terrace unfurnished. IIRC it cost us around £50 a month for contents and buildings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now