Talk

Advanced search

Move to Saigon for two years with husband and 3 children??

(4 Posts)
marabella Fri 07-Oct-11 14:28:02

My husband has been offered a job in Saigon (two years). The schools seem good (british international school) and will be paid for by the company (we have three children, 5, 9 and 12) and we will be able to have a comfortable lifestyle in the expat area. We are both quite adventurous and like to travel + like the idea of being in an international invironment, meet new people etc., BUT I am fearing it will be too hot and humid, lots of traffic, scooters everywhere and not a great lifestyle for the kids in a big city like that (althougt we will travel to the seaside and around Asia when we can). We have talked about it for a long time now and it causes me sleepless nights as I can not decide what to do. The kids are in very good schools now and are happy. What would you do??

jkklpu Fri 07-Oct-11 21:10:51

Tough decision but it's only 2 years - and if you didn't do it, would you regret it?
Have you contacted the orgs mentioned here?

Shanghaidiva Sat 08-Oct-11 05:59:09

I have been to HCMC on holiday and it is very humid and the traffic is horrendous. However, food is great, there is a very good international SOS clinic there with a paediatrician and dentist, Vietnam is a beautiful country and is a good base for exploring SE Asia.
We live in China and it is very hot and humid in the summer (around 40 degrees), but my children have adapted well to living in an enormous city which also has nightmare traffic!

Merlion Sat 08-Oct-11 07:37:00

Hi we are in Singapore so weather not too dissimilar. Have also visited Saigon and the I think the traffic would rule it out for me at the moment but mainly because my dc's are younger and unlike yours not passed the bolting stagesmile. We have friends who moved to Vietnam but Hanoi and loved it. I think the heat and humidity are bearable and if the schools are good it would be a great opportunity plus the food is fantasticgrin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now