How do you renew a passport from the US without going home?

(12 Posts)
cherrysodalover Sun 25-Sep-11 22:37:58

Just wondering if anyone has done this? My DH's passport expires in April and we are not due back to the UK till July top renew our work visas.
I am guessing there must be a way we can do it from the US-just wondering if anyone has done this and what the time frame is to get it done?
Many thanks for any pointing in the right direction.

OP’s posts: |
bluerodeo Sun 25-Sep-11 22:40:47

contact your local embassy or consulate office

Ponders Sun 25-Sep-11 22:40:54

at the US Embassy in London

you can get a form from them & it specifies what the photos have to look like (automatic booth ones won't do but they provide a list of photographers who can do it for you)

then you have to go there to actually get it renewed - you'll need to ring for an appt

HTH smile

Ponders Sun 25-Sep-11 22:42:11

oh it's a UK passport in the US?????

oh sorry, being v thick blush

yes, nearest embassy/consulate will tell you if it's possible

NoGoodGirlo Sun 25-Sep-11 23:18:55

Here. The link is on the right hand side I think. It allows you to select the country you are applying from and then provides you with all of the information that you need. It was very efficient and only took a couple of weeks. Do not worry too much about the sizing of the photos - I worried needlessly over this but actually all you have to do is have the photos taken at Walgreens and don't cut them as the embassy will cut them to the required size - some Walgreens actually have the UK photo size setting on their system.

TheCatInTheHairnet Sun 25-Sep-11 23:21:41

I did mine in DC. I had forgotten that my passport expired and I was going to a wedding in the UK, so I drove the several hours to DC and turned up and asked to get it renewed. They said no. My children started fighting and I started crying. I had the new passport in 3 hours! :D'

Although don't they all go to the UK now? I thought I remember reading that.

Shanghaidiva Mon 26-Sep-11 01:21:58

Contact embassy or consulate. I have lived outside UK for nearly 17 years and never been back to UK to renew it or sent it back to UK. I now live in China and have to send mine to Hong Kong for renewal. The only issue is if you need to contact anyone during the renewal process your local embassy does not answer any calls relating to this and you have to phone a call centre in UK at 70 pence a minute. Really is appalling service and complete pain in the bum!


spamm Mon 26-Sep-11 03:23:54

Very easy - use the website, download forms and get the photos done at Walgreens, as their photo machines have a uk passport photo setting. You need a Walgreens that has a photo centre, but they are very helpful.

It is pretty straightforward, the most difficult thing is probably getting somebody o vouch for the photos as a true likeness - I used a colleague who had known me for 5 years.

spamm Mon 26-Sep-11 03:27:08

And remember to ask for the old passport back, that will have your visa and I-95 in it, so you will still need it to travel. There is room on the forms for that and I also sent a seperate letter asking for it back, just in case. Takes about 3 weeks altogether.

spamm Mon 26-Sep-11 03:27:37

Sorry - I-94. Doh!

MindtheGappp Mon 26-Sep-11 04:25:52

You apply by post to the UK Consulate in Washington DC. Details and forms are on their website.

cherrysodalover Mon 26-Sep-11 23:57:36

Thanks everyone-I remember when I looked into it a while back being thrown by the expensive info line so I put it off.The link is really helpful.
Much appreciated!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in