Talk

Advanced search

Tumble drying in Singapore

(6 Posts)
kday Wed 21-Sep-11 15:36:13

Very unsexy topic!

We've recently moved to Singapore and into a house with a tumble dryer (located outside on a patio). I put clothes in for hours on the maximum cotton setting and they come out as wet as when they went in. I'm not overloading the dryer (I've tried just one item to see if that makes a difference) and the lint filter is clean.

Before I complain to the landlord (who already seems to think I'm a fussy expat), is this normal? i.e. is a tumble dryer pretty much useless here because of the humidity, or do others have tumble dryers that actually dry clothes?!

Thanks for any help you can give.

rumbletum Wed 21-Sep-11 21:10:45

Your tumble drier should work perfectly ok. The humidity doesnt make any difference.

ChunkyPickle Wed 21-Sep-11 21:16:13

My tumble dryer always worked just fine, and my DP's in KL worked fine despite being ancient and in the kitchen with no proper outlet (the kitchen of course got rather damp and fuzz-covered)

Check all the filters? The last place I rented it was clear the fuzz filter had never been emptied, and once I'd emptied it it worked much better.

You could always turn the aircon on for now and just hang stuff up - aircon is very drying :P

Gigondas Wed 21-Sep-11 21:18:13

Check if there is a water reservoir on it- ours will seem to keep going sometimes but not dry as water reservoir full

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 21-Sep-11 21:21:41

Ours did this and the thermostat was broken - i.e. the dryer stayed on cold all the time.

Apparently there are very few things that can go wrong on a tumble dryer, thermostat is the main one. Also as others have said full reservoir and/or blocked filter. Another problem i had in the past was the hose was being put up through a high window and the dryer didn't work - the steam was turning back into water and dripping back down somehow.

How does the steam escape - is it a condenser type where there is a reservoir/little tank that needs emptying? Or is it the sort that has a hose that needs to be vented/put through a window.

empirestateofmind Fri 23-Sep-11 03:06:57

Our tumble dryer works fine. It is especially useful (like this week) when it rains and rains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now