Talk

Advanced search

Renting a house in France - credit check

(6 Posts)
fenellaf Mon 19-Sep-11 16:45:13

Hiya, we are moving to France for my husband's work and we are going to have to rent a house. Will a credit check be done on us?? I know it's a bit of a stupid question, possibly, but I didn't know if UK credit records were transferable abroad or anything.

Thank you!

sommewhereelse Mon 19-Sep-11 17:00:40

We have rented a few places. Never had a credit check. You have to pay at least 1 months rent in deposit, 1 months rent up front and agencies will ask to see for the last 3 months pay slips.

Whereabouts in France are you moving to?

fenellaf Mon 19-Sep-11 17:15:50

St Omer

flyingcloud Mon 19-Sep-11 20:20:50

We didn't have a credit check last time, but one agency refused to show us any houses without us giving quite detailed financial information. I didn't bother with them after that (and we had found a house through another agency).

sommewhereelse Tue 20-Sep-11 06:06:32

I think the reason some landlords/agencies are so nosey about the financial stuff is that it is really hard to evict tenants who don't pay their rent in France. And the insurance companies that pay out to cover the landlord's mortgage if the tenants don't pay their rent won't cover landlords unless they have detailed info about the tenant's financial situation.

flyingcloud Tue 20-Sep-11 11:13:46

YY sommewhereelse.

We did have to provide pay slips and letters from our employers once we found a house but I was a bit hmm about giving it out before we'd even met the agent! But yes, it is very hard to get rid of tenants so I appreciate the reasons why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now