Talk

Advanced search

So how many of us are near Manhattan then??

(15 Posts)
happypotter Fri 16-Sep-11 16:58:53

There seem to be a lot of posters that reply to 'We're thinking of moving to NYC' type threads. I was just wondering how many of us there really are within easy travelling distance of Manhattan.

Seeing as everyone else is organising their Christmas MN meet ups, I thought we could too smile

happypotter Sat 17-Sep-11 16:31:42

Must just be me then smile

shreddedandnotatallsmug Sat 17-Sep-11 17:10:18

Me!

Thank you for starting this thread smile

Tell me more about your diva run!

I'm not running as much these days - a few of us from the C25K thread have started the 30 day shred, so I'm doing that and only running once a week or so.

Should we plan a Bryant Park hot chocolate when the skating starts?

NYCorLondon Sat 17-Sep-11 17:18:22

watching this thread with interest....signs are looking that we may be joining you early 2012!

shreddedandnotatallsmug Sat 17-Sep-11 17:20:57

NYCorLondon I will PM you later about schools (don't want to out myself by saying too much on the thread).

happypotter Sat 17-Sep-11 17:22:42

A Bryant Park hot chocolate sounds perfect and I might even have a little go at ice-skating this year!! When we first moved over last year, we spent many happy hours in Bryant Park. My dh works down the road so it was always a good spot to meet.

The diva run is two weeks tomorrow. I can't really believe I'm doing it. I ran ten miles this morning, my furthest ever. It's still very, very slow going but I've worked out that I'm ok going a little quicker on shorter runs but my legs can only cope with a snail-like pace on anything beyond 3 miles. I tried some of those jelly sports beans this morning at 7 miles and couldn't believe the difference. I felt fab from mile 7 to about 9.5 so I'll have to do that again next week. I did buy the shred dvd ages ago but it's still sitting in it's wrapper in the cupboard.

Do you know if they still have the children's playground in CP at the mo where the ice rink is?

HernameisRio Sat 17-Sep-11 18:20:19

Watching this with interest, too as we will move mid Fall.

shreddedandnotatallsmug Sat 17-Sep-11 18:28:52

Wow happy that's fantastic!

I met a woman at the water fountain at the CP reservoir last w/end who was talking about a supplement she had found that fools your body into not producing lactic acid. I think she said it was called runners' legs or something like that (I was more interested in catching my breath and gulping some water down).

I'm sorry I don't know about the playground - do you mean the rink at the north end of the park?

shreddedandnotatallsmug Sat 17-Sep-11 18:29:19

Welcome Rio smile

happypotter Sat 17-Sep-11 19:07:34

How exciting! Hello Rio smile Would be great if you are here in time to join us at Bryant Park if you are coming soon! Good luck with your move.

Hope your planning is going well NYCor

Yes I think there was a children's thing at the Wollman (??) rink when I was there last. You had to pay an entry fee and they had a mini-fairground going on.
I think I'll carry on playing around with any supplements if I carry on running over the autumn. To be honest, I think I'll just stick to improving my 5K time which is still too slow. I'd really like to do one of the runs on Central Park next year. I'd hate to give the impression that I'm in any way a fitness fanatic!! That is definitely not the case!

HernameisRio Sat 17-Sep-11 19:59:50

Sorry just dropped off a cliff with feeding 6 week old. Yes, thank you, that would be lovely!! [waves to shredded and happy] smile

NYCorLondon Sat 17-Sep-11 20:16:53

Thanks shredded - that'd be great. I can also give you more details as well because I'd definitely out myself if I shared all!

alarkaspree Sat 17-Sep-11 20:20:37

Victorian Gardens is the fairground at the Wollman rink. It's closed now though, I think it's only open until Labor Day.

I am in Manhattan too.

shreddedandnotatallsmug Sat 17-Sep-11 20:47:58

Hello alarkaspree. You were very nice to me on one of the living in the USA threads when I was first moving out here a couple of years ago smile. I wondered if you were still here.

alarkaspree Sun 18-Sep-11 15:05:46

Hello shredded. How lovely of you to say that. I hope it's going well for you?

We are still here, although I'm not sure for how much longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now