Talk

Advanced search

Life in Spain?

(9 Posts)
begonyabampot Fri 16-Sep-11 08:54:18

husband has a job that means we can really live wherever as long as he has access to a major airport. Living in the UK at the moment but considering the reality of a move to somewhere like Spain. We have 2 children (9yrs and 6yrs).

Just want to hear the opinions and experiences of others who have moved to Spain with young children and how it went. What did you do about schooling and how did the children settle and cope with the language difference.

mamsnet Fri 16-Sep-11 08:54:59

What part of Spain are you thinking?

begonyabampot Fri 16-Sep-11 08:56:49

Husband likes Barcelona, I'm not that set on a particular place. Has to be relatively close to a major hub airport.

mamsnet Fri 16-Sep-11 08:59:00

Barcelona would throw up the difficulty of TWO new languages..

frenchfancy Fri 16-Sep-11 13:03:26

I'm not in Spain but in France. Some of the issues of moving abroad are the same though.

The first is language, do you speak spanish? Your elsdest at 9 is what I would consider the top age range to get a child to be bi lingual, or would you be looking at international schools.

The other is the fact that you husband would obviously be working away, hence the need for an airport, do you want to be in a foreign country alone for much of the time while your husband is away. Do you have a good "support network" at home (friends or family) which you would leave behind if you move?

Just things to consider.

begonyabampot Fri 16-Sep-11 17:57:38

I speak school Spanish so not that much. Yes, would worry about the language thing so might opt for an international school though sort of defeats the purpose of integrating in another country a little. We've already lived overseas and enjoyed it so do know of some of the issues and where we are now we have some friends but no family so used to being a very close family unit, reliant on ourselves.

mamsnet Sat 17-Sep-11 15:17:16

I would agree with frencfancy re language for your older child too. I suppose even if they did go to an international school he could always do football or some such..

tigerfrog Sun 18-Sep-11 08:32:43

We live in the South of Spain. My husband also works away a lot of the time. I do live in a very expat community but that is my choice, i am still very British!! Friends take over the role of family in a way, I have some amazing friends who are there if I need them. The life here is very good. Medical care is fab, childrens parks are clean and safe and the attitude towards children is always positive. I have one child in an international school which is excellent, I want to be able to help her with homework and reading so it was important to me that she was educated in English. She goes to lots of extra activities in Spanish, dancing etc so she is learning Spanish while having fun. My other child is in a Spanish nursery where i am hoping she will get a good grounding before she goes to the international school. My Spanish is okish!!! A long way to go!

CherryLip Mon 19-Sep-11 21:08:12

I have been living in Andalucia for 10 years moving here when my DCs were 8 and 6. We also looked at Barcelona at that time and looked at Escaan School in Sitges which at that time was very new so discounted it but think all years are up and running now. I have found that it is very transient for people here and have seen my lovely circle of friends diminish to just one! Do bear this in mind!!!!! I have sent you a pm OP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now