Talk

Advanced search

Who loves where they live?

(21 Posts)
changer22 Wed 31-Aug-11 18:35:16

Following on from the great things about Belgium thread... I was wondering who else lives somewhere (abroad) they love?

RuthChan Wed 31-Aug-11 20:39:04

Living in Belgium is ok.
However, I loved living in Japan. [wistful emoticon]

Portofino Wed 31-Aug-11 22:25:18

I live in Belgium, yet very much miss living in the UK, yet, LOVE where I live.

Portofino Wed 31-Aug-11 22:27:43

Our street - cul de sac - is fabulous. The kds all play outside together, we have an annual street party, I know most of the neighbour's names! This is better than anywhere I have lived in 20 years, Shame we are renting....

Portofino Wed 31-Aug-11 22:32:54

Ruth, do you still have the chinese menu? We must organise another night. Will bring the wine....

acatcalledbob Thu 01-Sep-11 02:17:43

Singapore here - love it!!! Weather can be a bit hot and humid but we swim lots and lots, great schools, fab healthcare, very safe, we live in a cluster house (30 houses sharing a pool and garden) and kids are playing outside til 7pm most evenings. No language issues, lots of great restaurants, concerts, shows, plenty to do, very child-friendly ... I know it's not everyone's cup of tea regarding ethical issues (capital punishment and censorship etc) but we love it here and hope our kids can grow up in this environment.

ninedragons Thu 01-Sep-11 03:31:30

We have moved on, but I truly loved living in Hong Kong.

laptopwieldingharpy Thu 01-Sep-11 03:31:52

Everything that acatcalledbob just said! I was so sad to leave Singapore!

BUT have now found even better in HK. We have SEASONS!!!! Beautiful landscape with mountains and sea, scenic hiking trails and junk boat days out to see Dolphins!
Eat your heart out Singapore!

Last but not least, people are more "real" here. Its China, people are not automatons, people are smart, street wise and feisty and the xpats a bit less "pampered"

lazydog Thu 01-Sep-11 04:31:22

I absolutely LOVE living here in the Canadian Rockies. Sure, it has it's bad points - the length of the Winters (I like the cold and snow, thank goodness, but by April I've always had enough!), the amount of mosquitoes in the Summertime and the distances you have to drive to get anywhere, but other than that people are friendly, it's stunningly beautiful and uncrowded, the land is still pristine (rivers and lakes round here are absolutely crystal clear, not murky like in the UK) and full of wildlife and, best of all, we have so much more space around our home than we had before moving out here, so no neighbour issues! smile

RuthChan Thu 01-Sep-11 19:04:58

Portofino: The menu is ready and waiting for you whenever. (I could even come up with something different for next time.)
DH is going on a 2 week business trip in a couple of weeks so maybe you could come then...

Portofino Thu 01-Sep-11 19:31:39

Definitely!

C0smos Thu 01-Sep-11 19:35:41

New survey today said Melbourne is now the number 1 city in the world to live knocking Vancouver off the top spot. Australian and Canadian cities dominated the Top 10. Not sure how to link sorry but hopefully someone will help me out!

Shanghaidiva Fri 02-Sep-11 07:53:45

China -love it. Tis the most bizarre place I have ever lived...
fascinating culture, weird food, fast pace, amazing travel, impossible language..

echt Fri 02-Sep-11 09:16:55

Living in the world's most liveable city. Yes, I love it here in Melbourne.

The crucial question is, if you won the Lotto, would you move out?

No; as much as I miss my friends and family, I'd stay here and travel, or pay for them to visit.

I'm much revived by having bought a house and loving the making it our own.

changer22 Fri 02-Sep-11 18:46:26

Interesting to hear from everyone - thanks.

We had the very vague option of living in Hong Kong but the timing wasn't right. We will consider it in a different light if it happens again. We have relatives who left HK for Perth (Australia) and are regretting it.

I've always fancied Melbourne, Vancouver too, but have been put off the latter by the rain. We're getting into the elderly parents worry so that would probably be too far for us.

Popbiscuit Fri 02-Sep-11 18:56:40

We live in a suburb of Toronto. It's great. Good schools, small town feel and easy access to all the arts and culture of the city as well as Muskoka in the summertime. Lots and lots of Brits here.
Vancouver is lovely but soooooo expensive to live anywhere near downtown.

TheBride Sat 03-Sep-11 00:56:20

Another one loving HK, for all the reasons LTWH states (albeit not too many junks for us atm as we have a one year old).

Interesting to hear a HK vs Sing perspective too.

madwomanintheattic Sat 03-Sep-11 01:05:13

i live with lazydog. grin

well, i don't but i live in the canadian rockies and love it. grin

mountains, lakes, snow, sunshine. what more could you want, really?

madwomanintheattic Sat 03-Sep-11 01:08:17

<although we have had two cougars destroyed of late. one attacked a dog (24 hours after i walked our dogs in exactly the same place and saw a flash of something disappear into the bushes, so turned round and went The Other Way) and the other attacked a 6yo girl sad rather more worryingly. she's fine though - they whacked the cat with a steel water bottle and it ran off>

so, i quite like the wildlife aspect. but you have to be aware. grin

still love it though!

TheBride Sat 03-Sep-11 01:16:06

On the topic of nature, I saw a massive snake yesterday whilst out hiking in HK. I'm not exaggerating to say it was probably 5ft long and about 25cm diameter. It slithered off sharpish (understandably had no desire to be trampled underfoot by a sweaty gweillo) but it did cause a sharp intake of breath when I saw it and I was a bit suspicious of tree roots from that point grin

echt Sun 04-Sep-11 06:56:17

Last week, when my students were in Year assembly, there was a kerfuffle as they sat on the floor. "It's a spider, Miss echt."
I am of the English old school who regard it as bad luck to kill a spider.
"Oh, leave it alone, for goodness' sake.'"
"But it's a whitetail Miss echt."
"OK...kill it."
Cue much stamping.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now