Talk

Advanced search

Moving to ME - should I change my name on passport?

(6 Posts)
lalasmum11 Tue 30-Aug-11 08:56:52

looking at a move to Qatar, big step for us and I would probably take a career break for a few years too.

Have always used my maiden name, was important for work.

Just wondering would it cause problems with visas etc if I had a different name to my husband on my passport - would I be as well off to change it?

Thepoweroforangeknickers Wed 31-Aug-11 03:31:22

Won't cause problems. I too use my maiden name and lived there.

LaLaLaLayla Wed 31-Aug-11 04:20:39

I live in the UAE and have my maiden name on my passport. It has never caused me problems. You could carry around a photocopy of your marriage certificate in your handbag if you are worried.

Good luck with the move smile

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 31-Aug-11 07:22:45

I don't have my DHs name on my PP. Never caused a problem in Oman at least.

cantreachmytoes Sat 03-Sep-11 09:01:45

Shouldn't be a problem at all: in Islam, women do not take the surname of their husbands.

You may need to have your marriage certificate though, but I think that is sometimes needed for visas anyway, depending on the country.

mrsmummy84 Thu 06-Oct-11 06:25:46

I live here at the moment, and can confirm it shouldn't cause you any problems, but you will definitely need your marriage certificate, and it never hurts to keep a copy in your purse etc (not that i have EVER been asked for mine in almost 3 years. The only reason I carry it now is because I'm expecting and if anything happened and I had to go to the state hospital they'd want to see it before treating me).
Good luck if you go ahead with the move! PM me if you need any info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now