Talk

Advanced search

Emigrating as a Public Relations Officer

(9 Posts)
FutureMum Tue 23-Aug-11 09:37:56

Hello,

It appears my profession might qualify for sponsorship for the ACT (Canberra). Husband and I have been thinking about emigrating for a while, esp. now that we would like to provide a better quality of life and more opportunities for our DD. Have previously thought of Canada but the weather has put us off (I suffer from winter blues and OH gets down on winters too). So we are considering visiting Canberra in a few months time, just wondering if anyone out there on this profession has emigrated and would like to share their experience with us? Many thanks!

Bubbaluv Tue 23-Aug-11 09:56:30

My good friend emigrated and works in PR, but she does fashion PR so rather different i'd have thought? I think it would be more relevant to know what industry you would work in.
Canberra gets v cold in Winter, but Winters here are short compared to the Nrthern Hemisphere.
Canberra is also very small, but so long as you are fine with that then it can be a great place to live and raise children.

FutureMum Tue 23-Aug-11 14:02:32

Thanks Bubbaluv - I have worked in PR/ Comms for a large educational organisation (charity) and now a local educational institution.
I had heard about the cold winters, but having lived in England for quite a few years, I am not worried it will be worse than here! ; ) I am more worried that I don't know much/ feel much of a connection with Australia at the mo, although a visit should help with that. Does your friend know of any PR recruiting agencies that she could recommend from experience? Thanks!

Bubbaluv Wed 24-Aug-11 01:36:03

I doubt she would know anyone in Canberra I'm afraid - not exactly much a of a fashion centre! Do you only qualify for sponsorship in Canberra?

If you are going to look at Canberra, then the government will be your most likely bet so you should register online with their recruitment program.

Otherwise just do a google search for PR jobs in Canberra and see which agencies appear to be adertising most regularly.

If it doesn't have to be Canberra, then maybe you should look at areas that are a bit warmer. If you get Winter blues then choosing an city with one of the coldest Winters in the country might be best avoided (although Winters here aren't so long as they are in the UK). Maybe Brisbane would be worth considering? Cheaper than Canberra too.

Bubbaluv Wed 24-Aug-11 01:37:26

Don't mean to sound negative on Canberra though - we seriously considered moving down that way this year and may still do in a few years time.
Great schools, lots of space - just a bit too far from the sea for my liking.

MrsDistinctlyMintyMonetarism Wed 24-Aug-11 03:36:07

Only thing to bear in mind with Australia and winters is the fact that they don't seem to be designed for it!

Here in Queensland winters are not cold. However there is no double glazing, no insulation and the only heating is reversed airconditioning (kerching $$$).

We ended up buying electric blankets for the kids and hot water bottles for me. shock

Bubbaluv Wed 24-Aug-11 08:28:08

Canberra houses do tend to be better suited to the cold though - they get snow after all. Sydney houses are terrible in Winter. We have an open fire plus electric heaters going and we still walk around in jumpers and wrap up in blankets while Watching TV on the sofa.
Still, it's really only 3 months of the year.
MrsD, could you get ceiling fans installed?

FutureMum Thu 25-Aug-11 09:55:08

Thanks for the info on govt online recruitment portal, I'll look out for that.
The only place it's Canberra, it appears to be on South Australia too but only if your qualifications are from Australia (?) and I can't afford to continue studying.
I agree with all the comments about poor insulation in winter. Often in Spain visiting in winter I have felt colder indoors than outdoors in the sun.
I absolutely hate snow with a passion. Had heard that it snowed in the mountains near Canberra but not in Canberra itself, although I guess if it snows it won't stick for weeks on the ground like in the North? Is it a hilly city? Thanks!

Bubbaluv Thu 25-Aug-11 10:08:02

It does snow in Canberra, but it doesn't last long - maybe a day or 2 at most.
Canberra is flat compared to Sydney, but it is at a higher altitude, so hot HOT dry summers and cold dry Winters.
Where are you moving from?
Are you aware how small Canberra is?
The mountains (Skiing) are about 2 hours south of Canberra. The sea is about 2 hours east.
DH is from canberra and has a fair bit of family there still, so happy to help if I can with any further info. There are probably a few old threads on MN about Canberra too - might be worth a read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now