Talk

Advanced search

Must see places in Aus

(18 Posts)
Eralc Mon 22-Aug-11 07:15:42

We are due to go back to the UK in March next year, and have decided that before we leave Australia, we want to do a bit of travelling. DH should have about enough leave to take 2 weeks, and we are looking at going in February or March (so that we get some extra time to save up, and so that we go whilst we are in our temprary accomodation). We have two DS's who will be 4 and just turned 1 by then.

So, I'm after your ideas about what we really should try to see. We live in Sydney, and have been to Canberra and the Blue Mountains, but that's about it! Any suggestions greatly appreciated (and sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Bubbaluv Mon 22-Aug-11 09:41:46

DH did a trip from Broome through the Kimberleys, Kakadu etc with his family when he was little and still says it was the most amazing trip he ever did. I think they did it part in a camper van and part by boat. Would love to do it with my boys - just have to hope DH gets made redundant! ;-)

Bubbaluv Mon 22-Aug-11 09:44:05

Otherwise, Fraser Island, Seal Rocks, Jervis Bay, Whitehaven Beach (Whitsundays), there are some amazing outback sheep/cattle stations you can go and stay on for a real taste of rural Aus.
Oooh what about going up to El Questro in the Northern Territory?

Shanghaidiva Mon 22-Aug-11 10:15:31

I don't live in Australia (just been there a couple of times on holiday), but loved Tasmania. We spent two weeks in Hobart and Port Arthur and had a great time. Scenery is amazing along the coast, lots of national parks, great market in Hobart on Saturday - was fab!
Caveat - I live in China so tend to get over-excited at the prospect of some clean air!

Bubbaluv Tue 23-Aug-11 01:50:20

I think Tassie is lovely, but part of it's charm is that it feels quite English (by Aus standards) so maybe not the bit to choose just before you go back to the UK?

papooshka Tue 23-Aug-11 07:21:50

oh most definitely Fraser Island, a wonderful place. I went when I backpacked years ago and then a few years ago with DH and DC's, its still beautiful and wild!

I would suggest driving up the east coast, loads of places to stop off and see(incl Fraser Island) , you could finish in Cape Tribulation.

I am V jealous!!

ben5 Tue 23-Aug-11 07:31:26

have only been to Western Australia live nr. Rockingham 45 km south of Perth. Perth is lovely and so is Rockingham. Very child friendly beaches, great to watch dolhpins, easy drive to Margret River. Pinnacles north of Perth Nr. Jurien Bay. Kalbarri is also a good stop for a couple of nights and go to the natural window.
Further south Albany, Bussleton, Pemberton for Glouster tree.
Remember West is Best!!!!!!!

nothingnatural Wed 24-Aug-11 08:17:12

I'm sure you've thought it through but remember Feb/March will be ROASTING anywhere in the outback - so maybe a cattle/sheep station isn't where you want to be?

A stinking hot campervan with 2 small children sounds a bit hellish.

I would do whitsundays, great barrier reef etc etc but dunno what the climate is like far north at that time of year?

Bubbaluv Wed 24-Aug-11 08:19:30

Good point - hadn't considered the timing. Stick to the coast for sure.

Bubbaluv Wed 24-Aug-11 08:20:51

Check for stingers up North too. COuld be a problem.
What about something really different - Lord Howe Island - AMAZING and very laid back and child friendly. So long as you like bikes!

nothingnatural Wed 24-Aug-11 10:50:50

Bubbaluv the idea of a sheep station is ace, but maybe in autumn grin

What's El Questro? Or shall I just Google?

Darwin is ACE, worth a trip - VERY distinctively Aussie.

lulalullabye Wed 24-Aug-11 12:06:52

Just go and buy the book ' are we there yet ' about a family who travel to all the must see places.

Catsdontcare Wed 24-Aug-11 12:10:14

fraser island, airlie beach. If you can make it over to the west coast then, Kalbari, Monkey Mia and the ningaloo reef

Bubbaluv Thu 25-Aug-11 00:46:50

www.elquestro.com.au/

But not sure if Feb would be a good time to go.

www.lordhoweisland.info/

Lord Howe on the other hand has pretty much perfect weather all year round.

If you travel up the east coast then this would be a great spot to stop for a few days.
www.sealrockslighthouseaccommodation.com.au/

Eralc Thu 25-Aug-11 11:23:07

Thanks so much for the idea - lots for us to look into smile And a good point about the temperatures - we'd initially planned to go about now, but hadn't thought properly about how hot some places might get!

nothingnatural Thu 25-Aug-11 11:55:00

Hey Eraic, you could always come to South Australia - we have the Central Markets, Kangaroo Island and um . . . oh The Barossa . . . and um, er, that's about it I'm afraid, but it's heaps good.

batsforlashes Sat 27-Aug-11 13:46:22

Hi Eraic,

Funny we were only talking about this last night. Dh has a sister who lives in Alice Springs and he is mad keen to go and visit. I am just not sure if it is a kids place. I would definitely recommend Seal Rocks- we normally spend a week up at Boomerang Beach on our annual trip. Will fill you in when we meet up ! Had lunch in Lane Cove yesterday and was thrilled to see so many mums and kids around the place. We have two weeks in Wollstonecraft before we move in but hoping that DD1 will start school in LC next week. Will give you a shout when things settle down.

B x

Thumbwitch Sat 27-Aug-11 13:50:54

Don't forget to come up to the Hunter Valley! wink

Can you get a look at a Lonely Planet for Australia? there'll be some good ideas in there too. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now