Advanced search

Emigrating to Melbourne, pregnant with 2nd child - need to get child visa... How do I do this please???

(8 Posts)
Tamashii Thu 11-Aug-11 09:15:48

I just wrote a huge post and it has vanished so I will just try to get to the point with this one...

We have been stuck in the UK for the past 2 years since the houses in our area would not sell and prices fell below what we paid for our houses. We need the equity in the house to take with us otherwise we will be going to Australia pretty much broke. Anyway, we had hoped to wait until we were settled in Melbourne before trying for our 2nd child but time was ticking on and we are getting older so it was a case of if we wanted another child we would have to start trying before emigrating. I am due in September and we only have about a year left on the visas so we will need to apply for a child visa for the baby.

Any advice on how to do this? I know we can apply directly to Australia House but I don't really know how to do this as we used an agent to get the original visas and all we had to do was provide documentation.

Thanks in advance for any help with this...

MagicFingerGoesPop Thu 11-Aug-11 09:22:04

So you are pregnant now. Where will you e when the child is born? It will have citizenship and residency in whatever country it is born in, so no need for a visa. If for example, you have the baby here and then want to move, then the visa requirements are the same as for any British national moving over there. If you have the child in Australia and want to come back here, the vis a requirements will be the same as any Aussie coming over here. I have children born here that have automatic citizenship (as they were born here) and children born in another country that have dual citizenship. When/if we relocate back to my country, then we will have to get a visa for only my third child as everyone else have dual residency. DC3 will probably, from what we have researched , get automatic residency as everyone else does and dc is so young.

MagicFingerGoesPop Thu 11-Aug-11 09:22:42

Sorry we will still have to do paperwork for DC3, but it will be very straight forward. I also have residency here, but not citizenship, but we are applying.

Tamashii Thu 11-Aug-11 09:42:24

Hi and thanks for replying. We're having the baby here in the UK in September (all going to plan) so will have to apply for UK passport and visa here. We thought about coming over and just renting the house here so we could have the baby in Melbourne but we couldn't afford to. We would still have to then apply for an Aus passport plus a visa to be able to return to the UK so would stil have this issue. We just couldn't afford to wait to get to Australia to try for a baby since by the time we actually manage to emigrate, I doubt we'd have any more kids. It took years to conceive DS so we were concerned that we'd have to choose between emigrating and having another child and the biological clock ticking was just too loud smile

Anyway, I have been googling and wading through the info on applying for a child visa but for some reason I just keep going round in circles and can't find exactly what to do to get the child visa.

Thanks again smile

MagicFingerGoesPop Thu 11-Aug-11 09:46:52

The visa for a child to go to Australia is the same process as an adult. (unless you are Australian and returning?). At least that is how I understand it? So I assume you have done your visa? Then just do another for your child. The child will be a British Citizen.

xmyboys Thu 11-Aug-11 23:30:29

Can't help with visa info sorry but wanted to put right earlier post, regarding country baby is born in gets visa for they country. This is wrong, in uk at least. Child is same as mother, have had two babies here in uk and had to apply for visa for them to be here and apply for passport from my home country,

MagicFingerGoesPop Thu 11-Aug-11 23:43:55

I had a visa to be in the UK, had a baby and the baby is a british citizen? I now have ILR, but didnt get this until after baby was a year old or so.

MagicFingerGoesPop Thu 11-Aug-11 23:49:31

I guess it might depend on the nationality of the father though. My DH is British and the citizenship passes through the paternal side. For Eg. I could have gotten citizenship immediately if my father or grandfather was British. They werent, but got a spouse visa instead. Then ILR. DH and two children are dual citizens, I am one country and the youngest is this country. WE will get me citizenship, then apply for dual for the baby later on. Then we will all be duals. Makes it easy for passport lines when travelling! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: