Talk

Advanced search

villa or apartment with kids, dubai housing question

(8 Posts)
kippersandjam Tue 02-Aug-11 16:43:07

we will be moving to dubai in the next few weeks and are debating whether to have an apartment or villa- will it make that much difference as I have been told even if you have a garden you will never use it as its too hot/dusty! I am just wary of living in an apartment with my dc (4 and 2).
anyone who can help that would be great!

kippersandjam Tue 02-Aug-11 19:14:41

bump...

TheBride Thu 04-Aug-11 21:21:58

Main consideration re apartments is the potential for noise from neighbours and the fact that most apartments in Dubai are simplex, and some people miss having an upstairs. However, many of them have very good facilities which you may not have in a villa.

Also, you can use the garden 8 mo of the year, so I don't think they're useless at all.

Where are you thinking of in terms of areas?

wordsonapage Tue 16-Aug-11 09:39:25

Villa definately just for the bbqs
Pool nearby I think is pretty essential as well.
It's only stupidly hot in July and august ( and most people leave then especially with Ramadan)
You'll go crazy in an apartment

JaneBennet Tue 16-Aug-11 09:44:49

We live in an apartment with DC (8 and 4) and have lived there for 8 years. The facilities are fabulous - several pools, a football pitch, plenty of space to go walking and for the children to ride their bikes, mall at the end of the road (cinemas, restaurants, etc). One of best parts is the maintenance aspect, we rent from one of the biggest landlords in the UAE and they are very good. Be very careful if you do go for a villa that the landlord is providing an excellent maintenance package, A/Cs tend to conk out just when you need them most.

We love it and it's not living in an apartment that's driven us crazy, it's just Dubai!

kippersandjam Sun 11-Sep-11 18:42:54

thanks- my dh went for an aprtment in the end, so we shall see how we gosmile

JaneBennet Fri 16-Sep-11 14:13:21

Are you here yet kippersandjam?

kippersandjam Tue 20-Sep-11 09:34:35

hi Jane, yes I am! i am looking for toddler group for my 2.3yr ddl in the morning when my ds is at school... having trouble, i can only find bumps and babes, and she might be a bit bored in a coffee shop! i have been on expat woman & time out for kids, but nothing really... if you could help me that would be great.. am finding it hard to meet ladies who are not at work and would like a playdatesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now