Talk

Advanced search

Luxembourg

(4 Posts)
alibubbles Wed 27-Jul-11 15:50:16

Please can anyone tell me about cost of living, rent, etc, young single female looking to take up a job there.

All info gratefully received please!

Benghiman Thu 28-Jul-11 06:51:09

Luxembourg is cheaper than France - where inflation is at about 12%. Just ask someone to check their bills for now and this time last year if you do not believe me!.

But, be sure you have a job.

alibubbles Thu 28-Jul-11 12:27:59

Thank you, DD has a job, just the salary is lower than she expected, still excellent for her age, and the package is fairly good, apart from no help with relocation apart from an ex gratia tax free payment.

Weta Thu 28-Jul-11 21:19:32

Benghiman, I don't know where you are talking about in France (Paris maybe?) but we moved from France two years ago and generally find Luxembourg more expensive except for petrol (a lot more - nearly double in our case - for rent etc and a bit more for food), and people here often go to France or Germany for shopping...

Alibubbles, I don't know for a single female but rent is generally expensive - she could look on www.athome.lu for prices of rentals to get an idea. It's cheaper out in villages but Luxembourg is pretty quiet anyway so I think for a young single person it'd be better to be in town if possible. Car insurance is also pretty expensive, but most other things are ok - as I say we moved from France so I can't really compare with the UK, but we generally found things like eating out and food a bit more expensive but not horrifically so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now