Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Oz - Sydney or Perth

(9 Posts)
clpsmum Mon 25-Jul-11 10:49:23

We have decided to move to Australia and just can't decide where to go. We have narrowed it down to either Perth or Sydney but just can't make a decision no matter how much research/ visiting we do, so I thought I'd ask for your advice/suggestion/opinions. We are a family of 5 me and dh and 3 DC all under 5. My husband is an electrician and I am a nail technician but probably a sahm once in Australia. Thanks in advance for any advice

echt Tue 26-Jul-11 08:44:53

It depends on what you want. I understand there are more jobs in Perth, due to the mining, but it's small city in every sense of the word, whereas Sydney is world-class lots of cultural stuff, hell to drive round, expensive to live, but looks v.nice.

Bubbaluv Tue 26-Jul-11 10:52:34

Perth is the most isolated capital city in the world. You are either going to love that or hate it. Only you can know that.

redvelvetpoppy Wed 27-Jul-11 01:37:31

Hey there, after years of procrastinating (me) we have made the move to Sydney. DH lived here before & loves it. We arrived in May & even though it's "winter" here, no regrets! The only negatives I have found so far are: childcare - damn near impossible to arrange but that's ok if you want to be a SAHM and expense - OMG the expense of everything...it helps NOT think in pounds otherwise you will be brought to your knees weeping. We love Sydney but are already toying with a move to Melbourne in the future if/when we want to buy a house as it's unlikely we will ever afford to in Sydney...even if we sell house in UK.
DS is 3 & loving his new lifestyle though! We can walk to the beach/park/shops etc & train/boat ride everywhere else..x

AandK Wed 27-Jul-11 01:58:31

or maybe brisbane sorry to throw spanner in works but a family member lives there and its fab. Her childcare business is thriving too

ninedragons Wed 27-Jul-11 02:13:12

There is a lot of business for tradies in Brisbane at the moment - rebuilding after the summer's terrible floods.

Sydney is eye-wateringly expensive. I say this as a native, if you can't afford to live in the good bits, not a great place to live. The cheap suburbs are sweltering in summer, a long way from anywhere and generally quite unpleasant. If we couldn't afford to live where we do, we'd leave for Melbourne or a country town.

nothingnatural Wed 27-Jul-11 02:18:14

What about the climate? Perth can be very very hot and dry. Sydney is a bit more humid and wetter.

Both are v expensive though aren't they? I thought Perth house prices had shot up in the last few years, although Sydney of course is super dooper expenny.

Personally I would go for the East Coast over the West Coast. But then I like Sydney's buzz and culture.

I live in Adelaide tho, so anywhere with culture sounds like heaven to me. grin

savoycabbage Wed 27-Jul-11 04:54:41

They are so totally different. The biggest thing that they have in common is that they are in the same country.

Bubbaluv Wed 27-Jul-11 08:13:11

Might be helpful if you tell us why you narrowed it down to Sydney and Perth?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now