Talk

Advanced search

How do you make and keep friends in a transient ex pat population / location?

(3 Posts)
MistyB Mon 18-Jul-11 16:33:33

I'm new to this "ex-pat" thing but plan to make our life in our new location and stay as long as we can, probably about 1- years.

We lived in our last location (UK) for three years and there were many people that I had gotten to know who I felt would have remained good friends for as long as I lived there but I don't think we will stay in touch now that we have left.

We have been here for a month and so far, I have met two lovely people who are leaving!! I guess that is a common occurance where people come on ex pat assignment or are on rotation type careers.

So, is making friends a constant task then? Do people jump straight in or do people have more superficial relationships?

MindtheGappp Mon 18-Jul-11 16:37:41

Facebook!

It is so much easier now than in the old days.

MindtheGappp Mon 18-Jul-11 16:42:56

Oops - that was for keeping friends.

To make them you have to hit the ground running.

Get involved in as many groups as you can.

Do as much as you can in your local area, because you will end up seeing the same people over and over and instantly have something in common with them.

If people offer help, take it, even if you don't really need it. Ask lots of questions about simple things.

Don't expect others to do all the running - step forward.

Assume you will be here forever, even if you know you won't be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now