Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does Australia really offer families a better quality of life?

(7 Posts)
McDreamy Mon 18-Jul-11 14:13:05

Can anyone give me some examples? How did your children cope with the move? Any regrets?

MovingAndScared Mon 18-Jul-11 14:34:02

hi - my brother lives in oz and is bring up his DD there - I would not say they have a hugly better quality of life than us - they live in sydney - and had to choose between either a huge commute or a small flat to buy something reasonably priced - I think healthcare is slightly better - if more complex and schools - it depends -over all slightly better I think
the weather is better and the lifestyle - outdoors sports etc also good
its sad not near our side of the family but her family are austalian so it balances out -
but it depends what your current situation is - what you can earn in UK versus in oz and what you think is important eg being close to family,

hoofhearted Mon 18-Jul-11 14:40:34

We went out to live in Oz in 2004 just outside Sydney by the coast. DH set up a successful business. We really tried to love it and had been out there prior to moving so many times, but the in the end the cons outweighed the pros for us as a family and were so relieved to move home again two and a half years later. Thankfully we didn't sell our house in the UK. Coming home again was one of the happiest days of our lives. For all its faults, for us, the UK is the place for families.

McDreamy Mon 18-Jul-11 15:51:47

Interesting comments. Thanks for your honesty. We are tempted but scared we will make the wrong decision and face moving the family again.

MovingAndScared Mon 18-Jul-11 19:26:41

This gives some useful info
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/living_overseas/1256095-Potential-move-to-sydney-advice-needed-please

ifink Tue 19-Jul-11 07:27:00

just to add my recent experience of moving to Oz, I would agree with everything on here that it really depends on what your current situation in the UK is as to whether your family life will improve. For us our weekends are amazing in Oz as a family - beaches, outdoors etc - we had none of this easily available to us in the UK and it feels like real quality family time. BUT! my monday to fridays have actually got harder not easier moving here - no family to pop in to babysit for an hour, no regular/trusted babysitter, no pick up the phone for a daytime chat to old mates (bad time difference). So remember to think about yourself as a mum, how will such a move affect your life -thats pretty important I think not just how the family will fare.

lulalullabye Tue 19-Jul-11 09:47:29

There is a thread that you will find interesting at the moment on AIBU topic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now