Talk

Advanced search

Emigrating (potentially) to Vancouver/Burnaby, BC. Lots of questions!

(7 Posts)
EightToSixer Wed 06-Jul-11 10:31:16

Hi everyone,

Wonder if any BC experts can help me with a few things.

Dh has been made redundant in the manufacturing design engineering industry in the UK and there appear to be a lot of jobs in a similar industry in Burnaby and Vancouver. I am currently doing a PhD, but could write up over there and there are potentially a couple of very good universities for teaching experience/potential future employment in BC for me. DD is nearly 9; DS is 5.

We are looking at the possibility of emigrating over to BC. What do I need to know? At present I know we have enough points to emigrate, but not whether to start the process and then look for work - or whether to get a job and hope that speeds up the process.

Also, schools - what are they like? what ages? Both kids love their current primary school - are they similar standard to decent UK primaries/HighSchools?

Housing? how expensive is it? what kind of places are best to live?

Sorry for all the questions - I've looked at other posts in this topic for ideas and answers too. Anything that you can add would be most useful - thank you smile

EightToSixer Fri 08-Jul-11 10:17:30

Hopeful bump smile

Highlander Fri 08-Jul-11 13:49:25

BC is gorgeous; Vancouver is super-expensive to live in.

However, Burnaby/ New Westmisnter are a bit cheaper.

Emigrating to nay country is a horribel, stressful process - I would get your DH to send off his CV first and then make a trip out there for meetings. It's much quicker to get the paperwork done with a job offer.

Canada is mad keen on employees having Canadian training - do your research and see if your qualifications are transferable. You may have to sit professional 'exit' exams.

UBC and Simon Fraser are, as you say, excellent universities - with a queue of people desperate to work there......

EightToSixer Fri 08-Jul-11 14:44:19

Thanks Highlander - some good advice. We had looked at housing online and seen how much more expensive it is in BC than here, or anywhere else in Canada pretty much!

Anyone else with any pearls of wisdom?

Highlander Fri 08-Jul-11 16:25:39

Look att the bigger picture as well; are your pensions transferrable? Will a salary in a Canadian job allow you to save? Where will your kids go to Uni? Can you afford that?

Beware of employers appearing to be super enthusiastic and wanting to meet you. North Americans are uber polite and sincere and 'interested' in you, but you will not meet a collection of more un-genuine people.

EightToSixer Sat 09-Jul-11 07:26:00

Thanks Highlander. The more I think about it the more there is to think about! So many things to consider!

RedwingWinter Tue 12-Jul-11 20:42:55

It's obviously much easier for you financially if DH can get a job first, but it's harder finding work from afar.

Burnaby is much cheaper than Vancouver to live in. Renting isn't so bad, but buying a house in vancouver is horribly expensive. The climate is nice and if you like outdoors activities like hiking, skiing, kayaking, then this is a great place to be.

UBC and SFU are excellent universities, but as Highlander says, half the world would like to work there ... It will help if you have any contacts (or your phd supervisor has any contacts). You could look at the uni websites to see if you might be able to get any adjunct teaching, but this will be easier once you have a definite date for completion of your thesis, since a PhD is often required.

Have you checked the details of the visa rules and that your DH's line of work would qualify for a visa? It is much more difficult to get a permanent residency visa than it used to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now