Talk

Advanced search

Johannesburg with baby

(7 Posts)
chieftan Fri 24-Jun-11 15:31:55

Can anyone give me any tips or ideas on what to do with 4yr and 10mth old boys in Johannesburg? We're moving out from London later this year.

Also, unrelated question- is it nice living in a cluster development or not? Also looking for somewhere to live!

Thanks!

ExpatAgain Fri 24-Jun-11 15:44:30

http://www.jozikids.co.za/index.html worth a look.

sorry but what's a cluster development? I'm guessing you mean an estate with on-site security?? If so, they can be childfriendly as kids can play out etc..Security is an issue in this area, but I'm sure you knew that! Re housing, gumtree best.

iskra Mon 27-Jun-11 08:02:25

There's a great restaurant in Melville to go to with kids, Bamboozi or something similar iirc.

Meid Wed 29-Jun-11 09:38:05

Hello,
I'm in Johannesburg. We've been here just over 2 years. There is lots to do with kids but I have missed there being as many options as we had in London. The jozikids website is a good starting point. I have no idea how to contact another mumsnetter but if you know feel free to contact me, I also have a good booklet that I could email you.
We lived in a cluster complex for the first 2 years and it really did help the children to settle as they had friends to play with. A lot of the larger complexes (estates) also have parks.
We've now moved to a residential house and I love the peace and quiet!
Just ask if there is anything else you want to know.
meid smile

C0smos Thu 07-Jul-11 20:16:41

I'm in JHB - Northern Suburbs, Fourways area.
Lot's of stuff to do with kids here - I rely on the jozi kids emails. Also check out Mums and Babes, Clamber Club, Moms and Tots websites for weekly classes with babies they have lots of locations.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.
I live in a gated community - quite a big estate with parks etc feels nice and safe for walks, runs etc and no need for burglar bars. I'm not sure I would feel very safe living in a house.
Private property is a good website for house searches (private sales). Where are you planning on moving too?

chieftan Mon 18-Jul-11 15:28:17

Thanks for all your messagessmile. My husband has chosen a house for us in houghton, so hopefully that will be ok! Looked nice in the pics anyway.

We should be over in mid September I think so if anyone fancies meeting for a coffee let me know!

Indaba Thu 28-Jul-11 01:52:00

Good luck. We live in Cape Town so its very different, but we love South Africa. Great positive spirit and fab people. Defintiely one of the best experiences of our family life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now