Talk

Advanced search

just for those of us who miss the good ol' beeb.... (BBC)

(21 Posts)
chloeb2002 Tue 21-Jun-11 21:47:40

try.... proxy tv uk.. i have discovered it via a friend and wow i'm impressed! and happy now i can view holby city again... ahhhhhh

chloeb2002 Tue 21-Jun-11 21:48:21

oh and itv.. ch 4 and the rest.. but the i player is the best...

berri Mon 27-Jun-11 14:37:46

Can you get this in the US? Moving soon and I'm already thinking about how much I'm going to miss Luther! Is it a service you can sign up to? <dunce emoticon>

EmmaNicole Mon 27-Jun-11 20:29:55

Blimey...that's brilliant - just checked it out. Great tip!! Thx

chloeb2002 Tue 28-Jun-11 06:54:22

i believe you can get it in the usa! it is just fab! i loveeeeeee ittttttt

chloeb2002 Tue 28-Jun-11 06:56:01

berri.. tvproxy.co.uk
it costs an annual fee but you can try a month fdirst to check you get .. use it etc... not expensive either.....

berri Wed 29-Jun-11 16:47:41

Ooh thanks - great tip.

Do you really need to have a UK licence though? Just cancelled mine!!

chloeb2002 Thu 30-Jun-11 01:15:13

a what..... oh .......... luckily the detector vans dont police out of the uk!

berri Thu 30-Jun-11 14:25:15

grin

berri Thu 14-Jul-11 19:40:31

Bugger - doesn't appear to work in the USA.

Any other tips for getting BBC channels out here? I'm missing the Apprentice!

Missymoomum Thu 14-Jul-11 20:42:12

Thanks for the link, not sure it would be allowed in China due to the good old Great Firewall.

Berri, you can watch UK TV by using a VPN that then gives you a UK ISP address and therefore BBC iplayer and C4 and ITV on demand then think you are in the UK and thus let you watch their programmes. There are quite a few free VPNs out there but you must make sure it's one that gives you a UK IP address obviously as it won't work! We pay for ours but not sure what the difference is between paid for ones and free ones as DH sorted it all out. I initially wanted it to get access to Facebook as it's blocked over there but it's great being able to watch The Apprentice etc!

wheresthepimms Wed 20-Jul-11 14:34:43

try UKNova www.uknova.com you have to get a membership (its free) but can take a while of waiting for one to be available, and you have to upload as much as you download some things don't count on your download values. We had it in the US when we were there last year and it was great, even for the cbeebies programmes. Takes a bit of getting used to and some knowledge (had to get DH to work it out firstgrin) but works great, we worked out what to do after a week or so then got a new user name so that we could start from scratch. It is all done through torrents and is totally legal as you can't upload anything that is on sale

Kladdkaka Thu 21-Jul-11 11:47:58

You can try expat shield which is free and gives you a UK ip address. For some reason it doesn't seem to fool Channel4 directly but it does fool them via their youtube service. The downside is that you get loads of pop up adverts but that's not the end of the world.

http://expatshield.com/

Our other way of doing it is using a slingbox. To do this you need someone in the UK willing to attach it to the back of their tv. It doesn't in anyway interfer with their tv. You can then access the slingbox from you computer and watch uk tv, changing channels as you wish. You can also get a slingcatcher which attaches to your tv so you can bypass your computer completely.

http://www.slingbox.com/get/countrySelect?page=/go/home

I'm not a telly addict honest.

jillinthailand Fri 29-Jul-11 04:48:43

I use the VPN called my private network. That also routes your IP address through UK to access BBC iplayer. It costs 5quid a month.

ExpatAgain Mon 01-Aug-11 04:40:55

oh, would have loved to have this! Duely paid up the £10, fortunately just on a month's trial as warning, this won't work in areas (such as some of Africa) where broadband speed too slow to stream. I tried downloading instead but programmes paused each time. Hmm. Not quite what it said on the tin..

Meanwhile, heard BBC themselves are to launch an iplayer subscription service for £50 a year.

GoingRodeoBaby Thu 04-Aug-11 04:31:54

Try Internet Cloaker. It is a proxy server thingy so you can watch the iPlayer, Seesaw (free program site) and not feel so homesick!

flimflammery Thu 04-Aug-11 05:01:04

Ooh, I'm interested in this. I'm really sick of the TV here in Singapore.
ExpatAgain: the BBC iplayer subscription service is only going to be available in some countries, mainly Europe I think (I got excited when I saw the headline, then disappointed).

MmeSmithgoestoParis Sun 14-Aug-11 19:06:07

Flimflammery you need to sign up for my expat network for 5 pounds a month or one of the other sites mentioned above and then the iPlayer will work.

berri Tue 16-Aug-11 02:48:27

My Private Network (£5 a month) is working brilliantly here in the USA - thanks a million jillinthailand smile

emeraldislander Wed 24-Aug-11 02:02:06

https://www.overplay.net/

you can watch telly from loads of countries with overplay. 5 pounds/ month.

spamm Wed 24-Aug-11 02:18:58

Just signed up to my private network, here in USA and it works very well. GBP5 per month, and no contract, so not bad at all. DH is really chuffed, just been watching the first episode of the documentary about Prince Harry and the wounded warriors on BBC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now