Talk

Advanced search

Brussels - twins - milk

(11 Posts)
mastebe Thu 16-Jun-11 15:42:35

Hi

I see from the posts that there are quite a lot of people in Bruxelles here smile

I'm 33, living in Ixelles and have 3 month old boy-girl twins. I haven't really found any twins groups here and was wondering if there are other new twin mums in the area? I've just joined the BCT but haven't got info through from them yet. I heard BCT has a group in Ixelles - anyone know any more about it?

My first practical question for you experienced mums is about buying formula in Belgium. Its so pricey!! My twins were born at 34 weeks and in spite of a lot of tears and effort haven't managed to bf fully. I've just stopped expressing milk and am letting them suckle and then formula feeding - we're getting through tons of milk and its about 10 euros more per pack than back in the UK. Did anyone find a way to import it or have any tips?

Thanks in advance.

xpatmama Thu 16-Jun-11 16:15:15

ITs true that formula is very pricey! dont really have an answer apart from doing a trip to the netherlands/ germany and filling up your boot....

FYI about the BCT ixelles group - you can just turn up at Parc Tenbos on Thursdays, otherwise I can send you the contact details of hte person who does the group...

Hello Everyone,

I hope you'll be able to join us with your bump/baby/waddler/toddler (imagine if you had one of each- the mind boggles) this Thursday (tomorrow) in Parc Tenbosch, Ixelles from about 3.30pm.

As always, subject to weather.

We're going to meet in the playground, which is at the end of the park closest to Chaussée de Waterloo. You can enter the park from Chaussée de Vleurgat or Rue des Mélèzes; the entrance closest to the playground (cnr Rue des Mélèzes and Rue Washington) is currently closed. Bus 38 and Bus 60 stop near the park.

Look out for my stroller - double, red, and with an Australian flag sticking out of it. And please come up and introduce yourself!

AlpinePony Thu 16-Jun-11 17:21:31

Wtf? I'm up here in nl and even though it's gone up a euro in recent months I think its still only 9.35 a pack. I use the brand 'friso' in the blue (normal) box. smile well worth a day trip!

mastebe Thu 16-Jun-11 17:46:49

Thanks for tips - 800 g is between 17 and 20+ euros depending on brand - will be making a trip I guess and stocking up next time I'm home! If only amazon would deliver grocery items!

AlpinePony Thu 16-Jun-11 17:54:50

Amazon does deliver groceries these days. smile

AlpinePony Thu 16-Jun-11 17:58:47

Alternatively, the dunkirk to cover boat is very very cheap, and civilised (compared to calais) and there's a Tesco about 2 miles outside the port if you take the first exit and the first roundabout.

Packet of lincolnshire for me please! ;)

natation Thu 16-Jun-11 19:09:17

You know I am seriously thinking about a short trip to Dover this weekend as I have deliveries already to pick up, or alternatively I shall send my hubby. So how many of you are after baby milk and lincolnshire sausages?

mastebe Thu 16-Jun-11 20:11:45

Amazon won't deliver abroad such a pain!

Natation I would definitely be interested in milk if you're going - that would be amazing!

AlpinePony Fri 17-Jun-11 06:19:52

Thanks natation but I'm off to m&d's this weekend anyway so will probably go multiple times to Tesco when I'm home. Yes, I can almost taste the jealousy! grin

That Tesco in Dover btw, it does those carrier-bags-of-takeaway - wouldn't bother for Chinese as you can get a very good Chinese in Brussels (my fave was always the one at Place St. Pierre I think it was) - but Indian? not for love nor money. I know a takeaway-in-a-bag isn't quite the same thing but it's better than here!

mastebe Sat 18-Jun-11 10:31:31

If this is helpful to anyone. It seems carrefour is one of cheapest for milk here. Still more than the UK but less ruinous than pharmacies. THey have Friso, HIPP, nutrilion and Nan and you can order online.

Longtime Sat 18-Jun-11 12:29:52

There's a BCT twins club. I'll pm you the name of the organiser. Also if you or AlpinePony are interested in Brussels meet-ups, just pm me to be added to the list. Portofino's the one that does the organising smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now