Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in Spain who knows about babies?

(6 Posts)
pookamoo Mon 06-Jun-11 22:07:38

Vague thread title, I know, but I wondered if anyone might know the answer to this.

Somebody told me that in Spain, solid food is not routinely introduced to babies until they are one year old.

Is that true, or just a rumour?

Thanks!

mamsnet Tue 07-Jun-11 14:02:51

Not true. Solids are introduced at 6 months, according to the WHO guidelines.

Babies are very well looked after in their first couple of years, with lots of pediatrician visits, where you will be given lots of guidance. Each pediatrician might have a slightly personal take on the order of introducing certain foods, but nothing big.

Also, BF is common and well supported, imo.

pookamoo Tue 07-Jun-11 15:28:05

Thanks mamsnet

I couldn't find any evidence online, and I'm sure it was just anecdotal, but when my DD was weaning I used it as a sort of mantra when she wasn't taking to solid foods until she was about 11 months!

I just wanted to check, before I repeat it to other mums!

isw Tue 07-Jun-11 15:29:38

No sorry not true my pediatrician wanted me to wean onto fruit at 4 months. Oranges in fact.

pookamoo Tue 07-Jun-11 15:36:32

grin don't worry, I won't be passing it on!

Oranges!?!

It goes to show, doesn't it, that doctors all over the world are not up to date on the WHO guidelines!

MrIC Wed 08-Jun-11 21:08:31

yep, as mamsnet said.

I think what you heard might stem from the (english) mantra "Food is fun until they are one". Not sure what, if any, the Spanish equivalent is, but they certainly seem to expect that babies will continue to get most of their dietary needs from milk, with solid food being offered as an extra not an alternative around the year mark. This was our experience anyway: while the pediatrician always asked what food we were giving DD at her pre-12 months check up, it was only after DD turned 1 year that we really got grilled about her diet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: