Talk

Advanced search

I know everyone's not a fan of Ikea but I wonder what this is all about?

(10 Posts)
Portofino Tue 31-May-11 10:10:21

Exploding alarm clocks!

I don't know the specifics (but I'll try and find out next time I'm in work) but I know that in the IKEA I work in we've had similar things (smoke bombs in the air conditioning ducts, fire alarms set off) as distractions so people can try and get into the cash office.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 31-May-11 11:44:06

It all happens in Ikea doesn't it? Recently there were the demos by farmers who were ever so slightly miffed that Ikea was offering steak and frites for 2 euros.

Portofino Tue 31-May-11 12:45:48

I know the one near me caught on fire recently. I am wondering now if that was spontaneous or down to more incendiary devices! I like to go there for lunch and then try out all the sofas.

I try NOT to to come back with a big bag of stuff I never knew I needed/wanted, but generally fail blush I know now NEVER to buy an alarm clock from there though grin

chloeb2002 Fri 03-Jun-11 02:21:20

Im still back at not everyone is a fan of ikea.... really???

kreecherlivesupstairs Sat 04-Jun-11 07:10:08

We were in the Ikea in Breda yesteray, it seemed a bit more quiet than normal. OTOH, every one else could have been out enjoying the sunshine.

I don't know about other countries, but I know IKEA UK has been suffering with the economic downturn as much as other retailers. It's definitely quieter than it was a couple of years ago (we've gone from a midnight midweek close to 10pm one over the last 2 years, primarily because it's no longer viable to stay open) It's not struggling, but it's feeling the pinch (I'm looking at redundancy because of the change in hours sad)

4pinkbabies Sun 05-Jun-11 04:03:17

Here in Shanghai it is HEAVING. They love it. A new one is just about to open this month, so we will have one on both sides of the city. Lots of the locals go there for the cool air con, to escape the heat and there are always people fast asleep on the beds and babies asleep in the cots! They are certainly not struggling here, in fact quite the opposite. Didn't know about the alarm clocks, though.

lavenderbongo Sun 05-Jun-11 04:08:28

I miss Ikea - Particularly the meatballs and chips. There is no Ikea in NZ, I am thinking of starting a campaign to get one in Wellington.

shelscrape Thu 09-Jun-11 08:42:44

Ooohhhh, Ikea Meatballs...... I hear Ikea did sign a lease for land in Auckland a few years back, but they couldn't get resource consent .... some daft twonk refused it on the basis that the traffic system wouldn't be able to cope. Clearly someone who has never tasted Ikea meatballs.

You can add me to your campaign list lavenderbongo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: