Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of going to Norway to live/work any advice/tips

(8 Posts)
snowlover Tue 24-May-11 13:25:05

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to Norway to live for approximately a year.

Could anyone tell me what situation is like for renting and getting work.

Thanks.

MmeLindor. Tue 24-May-11 22:00:57

There is a MNetter who is from Norway, not sure which name she is using at the moment.

QuintessentialOldMoo Tue 24-May-11 22:08:19

Hi there, I am from Norway, currently live here.
Whereabouts were you planning to move, and what sort of job were you looking for? Do you speak the language, and why move here?

snowlover Thu 26-May-11 23:55:51

Hi thanks for your response, I was thinking about living and working in Oslo.

I have a degree in Business Management but do not speak the language.

Having visited several times this year I'm really impressed with the city and the people I would like to try out living there for a while if possible.

dollydoodledo Fri 27-May-11 03:33:19

For the majority of jobs you absolutely must be able to speak the language. Also be prepared for a lot of bureaucracy and for your education not to be recognised. It depends on the company I guess, if you're recruited from the UK they should sort a lot of the practical stuff, if you're applying individually be prepared for a long slog. If you've visited several times this year already then I'm guessing you have a connection and network which should simplify things.

QuintessentialOldMoo Fri 27-May-11 12:56:11

Not only do you need to speak the language, you need to be able to write passable Business Norwegian, too.

You can get your degree accepted by contacting an organization called NOKUT.

A degree in business management can certainly come in handy, especially coupled with the right work experience. What field were you thinking of?

Sadly, Norway is quite hard to move to, there is lots of bureaucracy, and you will need a residency visa and work permit.

It is better to jobhunt while still in Britain and move there with a job lined up, than move to Norway and start looking for work. Being British does not mean that employers will fall at your feet.

snowlover Wed 01-Jun-11 13:32:54

Thankyou Quintessential and dolly doddle. Not quite as straight forward as I first thought then.

dollydoodledo Thu 02-Jun-11 03:45:21

Don't be disheartened, I got there in the end but the journey getting there has ruined Norway for me. I feel like an outsider and that it will never be my home, despite having a Norwegian partner and 3 children (and with that his family).
However, I have friends who got through the hurdles and love the place, will never go back to their original homes.
Oslo is probably the easiest place to move to because there is a lot of movement and is more international.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: