UK bank account for non UK resident baby

(11 Posts)
sancerrre Fri 31-Dec-10 17:23:23

Does such a thing exist? DS has been given sterling cheques but banks don't seem to cater for the expat baby.

OP’s posts: |
RuthChan Fri 31-Dec-10 18:40:40

We are expats, but my children have bank accounts that my father has opened on their behalves.
He used his own address and their passports etc as id.
I'm not sure whether it's legal or not, but I think the bank was aware of the situation and didn't question it.

Alouiseg Fri 31-Dec-10 18:44:46

You can pay in Sterling cheques in most countries, just be prepared to open a sterling a/c and pay hideous fees.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Sat 01-Jan-11 09:22:39

Some UK banks specifically do offshore/expat accounts but I don't know if you can set one up from abroad or whether it's just if you already had an account with them and can transfer it.

Binfullofgibletsonthe45 Sat 01-Jan-11 13:39:08

I have kept my uk bank accounts at First Direct and Halifax, and just gave them my overseas address. They said no problem. Also have my uk credit cards.

Apparently it is quite common. Especially wanted to keep them open as I want to shop in the uk when I come home, and I use them to buy presents from amazon for family etc.

My son has kept his childcare trust fund too, with the Swiss address.

Shouldn't be a problem?

sancerrre Sat 01-Jan-11 16:33:44

Thanks all for your advice. Looks like you need a UK resident adult to be in charge of an account for a child under a certain age so I'll get my Mum or Dad to be the signatory on it. I have expat accounts but there doesn't seem to be one for children as far as I can see.

OP’s posts: |
Merlion Mon 03-Jan-11 04:35:13

We opened one for DS when we were back in the UK it is just linked to DH's own UK account. You just need birth certificate. It just states Mr Merlion re Master Merlion. We didn't need to have a UK resident signatory although helps to have Mum and Dad to pay in the cheques! Make sure you complete an R105/R85 for interest to be paid without tax deducted (R105 is for non-UK resident and R85 for minors).


tadjennyp Mon 03-Jan-11 04:58:21

I have post office accounts for my 2 and leave the passbooks with my parents. I opened them before we left though, and the investment account is non-taxable for dcs anyway.

BaggedandTagged Tue 04-Jan-11 11:20:20

Hi there. Just doing exactly this through HSBC in the UK (we are HK residents).

My mother is opening the account in her name with my son as the beneficiary (apparently this is how childrens' accounts work). She just needed a copy of his birth certificate. So you just need to trust your mother grin

I think you have to be a parent or grandparent to do it (something to do with money laundering)

bedubabe Wed 05-Jan-11 14:40:46

Post office def do a grandparent account that can be opened with child's birth cert and gp's ID

sancerrre Sun 09-Jan-11 19:01:36

Thanks for the advice. It's probably easier for my Mum or Dad to be in charge of the account rather than me anyway for proximity and ease of operating it. Thanks too for the tax tips and info on forms to fill in.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in