Talk

Advanced search

Snow in Belgium

(7 Posts)
belgo Fri 24-Dec-10 08:46:41

More then I've ever seen in Belgium or England, more then half a metre in my garden.

I hope no-one gets stuck!

natation Fri 24-Dec-10 12:03:25

Our neighbour's out of ground pool is almost immersed in the snow now, definitely had over half a metre.

The head at our local school sent a letter home yesterday urging children to stay at home this morning if they could, never had that happen in 3 winters in Brussels. I took children from 2 classes as the teacher was snowed in and still had 13 out of 41.

On the way home, saw dozens of cars just abandonned and even on the main street. It's really crazy to venture out without winter tyres, I'm sure the Police and Emergency services were at their busiest ever this morning.

Anyway, hope everyone has a lovely white Christmas.

belgo Fri 24-Dec-10 12:05:20

We're going out with the sledge soon!

There are snow boarders going down our hill.

Pantofino Fri 24-Dec-10 12:21:43

We had about 8-10 inches this morning - the most I have ever seen since we moved here. I looked at the traffic cams and saw that Brussels was in a bad way - we never even attempted to drive in for school. Dd was upset as they were having a party this morning.

I had a minor panic as the plan was to get to the supermarket early after I dropped off dd - there is a massive Carrefour near the school. We had NOTHING in for Xmas!

It took me the best part of an hour to get the car out and I drove to Kortenberg on the Chaussee de Louvain, which was covered with compressed snow - not cleared at all. There was noone in Delhaize so I am thankfully stocked up with enough alcohol festive food that we won't need to wander out again for days!

I am planning sledging on Xmas day if the roads are clearer. That is a first for me! grin

Keep yourselves safe and warm and have a lovely Xmas! Prettige Feesten!

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 30-Dec-10 08:28:12

Hope you all survived. We managed to get to the UK (hooray) and arrived home last night. DD was really chuffed to see the snowpileman she had built with DH survived.
It is starting to melt it seems, so we will be able to go to the container park and recycle all the stuff we foolishly brought back from the UK. Wrapping paper and empty bottles in short supply at your house? Never fear, we have loads.

LongtimeinBrussels Thu 30-Dec-10 22:09:30

You brought empty bottles back from the UK?

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 31-Dec-10 06:25:22

Yes blush, panic about leaving at a reasonable time due to the main beam lights of our car packing up. We didn't want to drive in the dark on side lights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now