Talk

Advanced search

Taking dd home to 30 degrees below what she's used to - any experience?

(24 Posts)
strandedatseasonsgreetings Fri 10-Dec-10 21:01:30

Hi - we're moving back to the UK in just over a week and will leave a balmy tropical country where the temps are usually 28 - 30 degrees for the -4 degrees of the UK. Dd1 will probably remember the cold but not dd2 - she was 20 months when we left and we've only been home during the summer.

Anyone done this - and were the dc's ok? Did they adjust to the cold pretty quickly? I keep reassuring myself that children don't feel the cold in the same way as we do...

I'm also panicking about how she is going to cope with tights. She sometimes has to rush to get to the toilet in time. How is she going to pull her tights down as well? (ridiculously unnecessarily panicky mother emoticon)

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 10-Dec-10 21:04:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

strandedatseasonsgreetings Fri 10-Dec-10 21:06:46

I know I know it's that just every time I look at the temps back home and hear more doom and gloom stories about how cold it is and then look at the dd's running around in next-to-nothing all day I just thing..ugh!

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 10-Dec-10 21:09:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PaisleyLeaf Fri 10-Dec-10 21:11:30

Thumbs in tights and pants together - pull down in one.

strandedatseasonsgreetings Fri 10-Dec-10 21:15:30

Minus 40? Where were you - Antarctica grin

Thanks for advice on tights. I think she'll wear them ok. It's just getting them down in time. She's just turned 3 and at that "I can do it all by myself" stage.....

Elk Fri 10-Dec-10 21:26:37

My dd used to wear leggings and long tops/dresses in the winter as she found that slightly easier than tights.

We spent last december in Aus at 35 and came back to snow and freezing temps. It was the only time my children have worn vests, but they loved the snow.

strandedatseasonsgreetings Fri 10-Dec-10 21:35:16

Yes, vests vests vests, had forgotten about vests.

Like the idea of leggings and long dresses. Presumably with socks to fill in the gap?

pooka Fri 10-Dec-10 21:37:34

Leggings and trousers are the way to go IMO. DD found tights a pain when she was first dry - and so did I!

pooka Fri 10-Dec-10 21:37:56

Yes with socks.

strandedatseasonsgreetings Fri 10-Dec-10 21:41:28

Dd1 usually wore trousers in the cold at this age, she is a tom boy. But dd2 very girly and will insist on dresses and skirts so leggings v good idea.

I lied about her age - she turns 3 tomorrow. (not sure why I felt the need to correct myself).

slim22 Fri 10-Dec-10 23:29:53

Also moving to cooler climate next week.

Yes leggings are great, DD(2.7) already wears them here under her dresses in air conditioned kindergarten. Thumbs in and pull down in one go as paisley accurately described!

Am more worried about DS (7): lives barefoot and bare chest. The only clothes & shoes he wears is when he has to get into his school uniform!

grin about your white lie. I remember ( in the UK in an other lifetime) DS freezing in his wet trousers in the playground in winter.
And I do not even want to think about all that faffing with hats and carves and coats. brrrrrr.......

strandedatseasonsgreetings Fri 10-Dec-10 23:59:59

Aah I'm glad I'm not the only one! Where are you going Slim? Home for Christmas? We're excited about the prospect of snow - unfortunately our house is in the one area of the country where they haven't actually had much of it!

slim22 Sat 11-Dec-10 00:05:17

well its all relative.....

From Singapore to Hong Kong where Dec to Feb is around 10 C (but damp/chill factor makes it feel quite cold) which DD has never experienced and DS can barely remember.

I am overjoyed at the prospect of seasons

strandedatseasonsgreetings Sat 11-Dec-10 01:16:23

Ha yes I remember arriving in Hong Kong in January and having to rush out and buy some warm clothes...

BaggedandTagged Sat 11-Dec-10 01:27:43

I was wearing my ski jacket in HK last Jan!

Mind you, I worry the opposite way, as although DS was born in HK I panic about dehydration - so I know you're not supposed to need to give bf babies water ever, but caucasion babies with lily white parents don't naturally live in HK either :-)

duchesse Sat 11-Dec-10 01:40:39

We moved from +10 to -40 and loved it. As long as she's adequately clothed she'll be fine and will just have to learn to deal with the different circs. My sister arrives from Thailand this week for Christmas and says they can't wait to be cold.

thanksamillion Sat 11-Dec-10 08:58:42

We have +30 in the summmer and -20 in the winter so my DCs are used to switching (although obviously it's a bit more gradual than a plane ride grin). They just get used to the layers and get on with it, although I do love it in the summer when they can run in and out without 20 minutes of faffing with coats/hats/gloves/boots etc etc

activate Sat 11-Dec-10 09:00:33

Cold and snow is an adventure

Make it fun - because it is - despite all the miserable buggers who complain

changes in seasons are the best ever

and stick her in trousers for the toilet thing - they have elasticated waits so pulling them off is like pulling off knickers

activate Sat 11-Dec-10 09:00:58

No such thing as bad weather just bad clothing as Billy Connolly says

strandedatseasonsgreetings Tue 14-Dec-10 17:30:04

I would just like to add that Metcheck is predicting minus seven for the morning we get home next week. So that's THIRTY SEVEN DEGREES colder than here.

I am crying.

(But can't wait to get home too!)

thanksamillion Tue 14-Dec-10 19:07:12

stranded I think you need to start a countdown thread as I've seen you post several times how much you're looking forward to getting back to the UK! When do you actually fly?

strandedatseasonsgreetings Wed 15-Dec-10 16:54:29

Oh no really how blush. I fly on Sunday. So that's 4 days, 6 hours and 8 minutes.... smile

Actually the closer the time comes to leave the more I think I will miss certain things and people here. But it's so different at home I actually think I'll forget this place - if not some of the people, and definitely not some of the gossip... - very quickly.

thanksamillion Thu 16-Dec-10 21:00:55

Hope the packing is going well stranded!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: