Talk

Advanced search

How to do Xmas 'on our own'?

(8 Posts)
Weta Mon 29-Nov-10 09:46:31

We have unexpectedly had to cancel our traditional trip to ILs as DH is ill and won't be up to the long drive. But I feel at a bit of a loss as to how to make Xmas fun for the kids (3 and 7) without any family around (mine are on the other side of the world).

Am also a bit torn between different traditions - DH's family do the European thing on the 24th, but the kids are normally in bed, and I can't decide if we should go with that or do something on the 25th instead. Seems a bit sad having a Xmas meal just for two, and I have no idea what to make etc!

Sorry - probably sounds like a really dumb 'problem' but I am actually quite upset that we will miss out on our lovely Xmas with the extended family.

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Mon 29-Nov-10 10:27:56

why don't you have something light but romantic by candlelight on the 24th after the dc are in bed , and exchange gifts with your dh then?

Have your NZ (is it?) style Christmas on the 25th with presents for the children in the morning. Have whatever you want for lunch and child-friendly snacks and a dvd if your dh is not up to going out at all? If dh is up to a short drive/walk maybe go to for a walk arounds a nice stately home with garden if there is one open to the public near you - or something like that. Depends where you are, ice-skating, home for cocoa?

exexpat Mon 29-Nov-10 10:50:32

Invite some friends around? I always felt that Christmas meals need lots of people to feel right, so even if Christmas isn't really celebrated where you are, I'm sure you could find a few friends who'd like to join you for a 'traditional' meal.

Or if most people are off doing Christmas with their own families, are there any people from the other side of the world who might like to join you? When I was a child we often had one or two non-family members (Aussies etc) to stay for Christmas and it made it more of an occasion.

Weta Mon 29-Nov-10 13:09:47

Thanks DanZZZ... yes, that sounds like a good compromise, though we normally do the presents on the 25th anyway, it's just the meal on the 24th. DVD might be nice - he should be up to a walk as well although there won't be anything open.

Thanks exexpat - they do celebrate Xmas here, and we have lots of expat friends, but most are either going home or have family coming. I agree it is nice to have lots of people, probably because I grew up in NZ and we only ever had our nuclear family. We may find people to do it with, but I'd like to have some ideas for being self-sufficient if it doesn't work out like that.

Other problem is that I don't even really know how to do a traditional Xmas meal by myself and the kids aren't used to it or anything as they are always in bed when we have the European one, not that it's very traditional anyway.

exexpat Mon 29-Nov-10 13:40:58

Sounds like a good chance to make up your own blended 'traditions' then - ditch the bits you don't like from both your family's cultures (pick your own timing for the main meal, no need for sprouts or christmas pudding if you don't like them etc), add in a pinch of something from where you are living now, and that can be your new family tradition for as long as you like.

Weta Mon 29-Nov-10 13:53:22

Actually it's starting to sound increasingly attractive a friend has also just told me that lots of expats meet up at the Christmas market on the afternoon of the 24th, which sounds like it will be a nice thing to do.

Pity my DS has a severe dairy allergy and can't partake of most of the stuff from where we live, but I guess we can come up with something nice as an alternative for him.

ShanahansRevenge Wed 01-Dec-10 05:17:21

We never had any extra family at all growing up and my Christmas's are so fresh in my mind that I still love it today! It was just my arents and us kids...we loved it all! It's just a wobble at the change perhaps...

Weta Wed 01-Dec-10 11:49:48

The weird part is that we never had any extra family either when I was growing up, but I guess that's why I love having a bigger family Xmas so much now! I think I always felt I was missing out somehow...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now