Talk

Advanced search

Schools in Oman

(7 Posts)
complexnumber Thu 25-Nov-10 12:02:12

I can see that there are two or three 'big' schools in Muscat. Does anyone have any experience of any of them that they could share? Primary or secondary.

Many thanks

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 25-Nov-10 13:53:20

American school is very good (?TASIM) if I remember properly. If you put up a list of those you are considering, I'll give you an honest opinion.
Another one is the Royal Flight or Sultans School although the latter may just be for Omani nationals.
[Happily remembering my three years there]

complexnumber Thu 25-Nov-10 15:31:57

TASIM was one of the 'big three' that I had heard of, the others go by the initials of BSM and ABA.

I haven't heard of the Royal Flight or Sultan's school (Two different schools?)

Were you a student at TASIM?

Many thanks for your insight kreecherlivesupstairs.

hermitcrab Thu 25-Nov-10 17:39:36

We looked at ABA, Royal Flight and BSM. ABA had a huge waiting list in the year groups we needed. ABA has fab facilities, and I know lots of very happy parents there. Think the teaching style is a bit more laid back than at BSM. IB Curriculum.

BSM follows the British curriculum, three classes per year group. Maximum class size of 22. The teachers we have experience of have been brilliant. Our elder is actually getting quite a lot of extra support and has come on in leaps and bounds. Has definitly been a good move for us. Slightly run down facilities on one of the most hilly sites in Muscat. Is a rumour of a new site out of Medinat Qaboos.

Royal Flight only covers primary, which ruled it out for us as had concerns about then having to find a vacancy at secondary level....plus two children at separate schools and the headache of drop-offs etc.
hth.

complexnumber Thu 25-Nov-10 18:36:55

Thank you hermitcrab, it's good to hear you are having a positive experience in Muscat.

It is also interesting to hear all three of the schools I have heard of praised! That has to be a good indicator of something (though I'm not sure what).

Barmcake Fri 03-Dec-10 05:03:50

Thanks for the info hermitcrab, ds is starting as BSM in Janauary so to hear positive things about it is making me feel better about the move. Couldn't get in into ABA!!
Have yoy been there for long?

hermitcrab Sat 04-Dec-10 08:34:26

We arrived here in April. We couldn't get into ABA either, but with hindsight don't think our eldest would have settled so well there. BSM has quite a good system of buddy-ing up for the first week or two...and have been v helpful all along.
Family have been out to visit recently and have all remarked on how confident and happy the girls seem. Our eldest was pretty quiet but has really come out of her shell since the move here.
January is a lovely time to come, the weather is quite nice at the mo...25ish during the day. You should catch sports day and all that sort of stuff. Was bonkers hot in May/June...think they try and keep the summer term quite quiet...mainly indoor activities.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: