Talk

Advanced search

Sydney ladies - What's St Leonard's like?

(5 Posts)

We're in the process of planning a visit to Oz for DH's best mate's wedding in January. We're seeing friends in Perth first, then spending about 2 weeks in Sydney. We're looking at getting an apartment as have DS (7) and one room will be just toooooo much for that long. Strangely enough, the only two apartments available, from two different agents, are both in the Forum development in St Leonards - a one bed in building 1, and a 2 bed in building 00, both off Sargeant's Lane. I can see that the building is over the railway station, with a Coles in it, so hopefully that'll be convenient for seeing the Sydney sights, but I just wanted to check if anyone knew what the area was really like?
TIA!

sunnydelight Tue 16-Nov-10 23:14:35

It's walking distance to Crow's Nest which has some nice cafes/restaurants/little shops. In terms of sightseeing you can just hop on the train into the city (you're only a few stops away). The Pacific Highway is very busy - think carpark at peak hours - so make sure if you are overlooking the road windows are double glazed. If you're not hiring a car it's good to be so close to a train station.

We stayed in a townhouse in North Sydney (one stop down) when we arrived and found it a good starting point. North Sydney would probably be a bit better if you could find somewhere - that's walking distance to the very pretty Kirribilli, closer to the water, Luna Park and North Sydney olympic size pool, and you can walk across the Harbour Bridge to Circular Quay if you're feeling lively. We booked through www.pacrimapartments.com.au.

VFemme Wed 17-Nov-10 02:25:47

Hi ravenous

I work in St Leonards and second what sunnydelight has said. St Leonards itself is more of a business district - v busy Monday to Friday. But Crows Nest is great (we lived there for 7 months), and the train from St Leonards to the city takes about 15 minutes.

We actually booked our first 4 week stay when we arrived through www.worldapartments.com.au and had a lovely two bed unit in Cremorne Point with bridge views. Took the ferry over to the city every day which was lovely.

Good luck with the holiday. Sydney is fab!

Thanks both, that's really useful, and reassuring.. We've looked for apartments closer in, but there don't seem to be many available, given that it's the summer holidays, and not a massive amount of notice, and the ones we have found don't seem to have air conditioning, which is essential for us! The Forum apts do have aircon, so presumably we can leave the windows closed and avoid too much traffic noise.

Is it ok if I pop back here and ask you about things to do with DS in Sydney, and about public transport travel passes etc? There's obviously a lot in t'internet, but sometimes too much info! I'll try and whittle down my questions, but would really appreciate some local advice. Similarly if there are any Perth mums around, I think I've identified a few things to do but would appreciate some guidance, especially like how to make a Rottnest Island visit slightly cheaper shock

Cheers all, have a good day!

VFemme Thu 18-Nov-10 11:00:05

Yes air-con will be a must in January! Absolutely please post your questions... things to do with a 7yo in Sydney?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now