Talk

Advanced search

Manila

(8 Posts)
mtw Tue 16-Nov-10 04:02:16

Is there anyone living there/has lived there? I'm interested in the life in general, with 3 young kids...thanks..

slim22 Tue 16-Nov-10 13:28:33

sorry absolutely nothing helpful to say except that I remember a post a few months back about someone moving to manilla. do a search.

these are the most visited expat forums:

here

and

here

strandedatseasonsgreetings Tue 16-Nov-10 13:34:23

Hi - I have a friend who lives there, although she doesn't have children. However I could pass on your details and perhaps she could give you some information or ask someone she knows with children to help?

I lived there as a child and loved it. But not sure what it would be like now - it's a lot bigger/busier, more traffic etc - although also probably more to do with children and I think more choice of schooling. It's a very poor country and the poverty can be quite shocking but also very educational.

PM me with an email address if you would like me to ask my friend to help.

Calamansi Tue 16-Nov-10 22:54:22

I happily lived there with small children and LOVED it. I'm back in the UK now and I would happily move back tomorrow!

Manila is wonderful but is often portrayed in a very bad light, yes it has it's challenges but the media doesn't give a balanced view...hTis article explains it really well tourism-philippines.com/viewing-the-philippines-in -a-different-light/

Also take a look at this expat parents group, they're a great way to meet people when you first arive and will give you a good idea of the kind of things going on www.madsmanila.com/index.htm

Calamansi Tue 16-Nov-10 22:58:31

Also if you are British this group are a lovely group of people who i had a lot of fun with ttp://www.bwamanila.com/ there are also different expat groups - American, Canadian etc if yo're not a Brit smile

strandedatseasonsgreetings Wed 17-Nov-10 00:33:06

getting nostalgic now, isn't calamnsi a little lime type fruit native to the Philippines?

Calamansi Wed 17-Nov-10 23:14:39

yes grin, you squeeze it over food or drink the juice which is divine! I'm getitng homesick for it too... sad

strandedatseasonsgreetings Wed 17-Nov-10 23:30:08

ha ha you probably remember it better than me - apart from a brief visit in 1998, I was last there 34 years ago!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: