Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got an internet radio in France (or elsewhere in Europe)?

(19 Posts)
lummox Sun 14-Nov-10 13:10:34

Am thinking of getting one for Christmas, but can't work out if I would be able to get ordinary Radio 3, 4 etc.

Does anyone have one and does it work?

frenchfancy Sun 14-Nov-10 14:12:50

Yes. i have a squeezebox. I get all the bbc radio channels as well as thousands more. It plays all the music I have on the computer (squeezebox in kitchen, computer in living room). I also have a patch on my computer meaning i can get spotify through it.

NightFury Sun 14-Nov-10 14:26:37

Yep. We have a noxon thingie and get loads of stationary including radio 4 (main reason for purchase) and loads and loads of others. It is fantastic. We're in Luxembourg BTW.

lummox Sun 14-Nov-10 15:36:12

Fantastic - thank you both. I have spent ages trawling through different things on the net but never been able to satisfy myself that they would actually work to do the things I want to do.

I think the Squeezebox may be more than I'm looking for frenchfancy - although looks fab for the tech-savvy.

Nightfury - that looks perfect. Can I just check that it is proper radio 4 you get, not just the world service?

NightFury Sun 14-Nov-10 16:04:39

It is indeed proper radio 4. I have just been listening to a play about life in Nazi Germany. Fascinating but was dragged away by play mobile emergency. "mummy! Where is my pirate ship? Mummy! Mummy!"

franke Sun 14-Nov-10 16:07:26

We also have a Squeezebox Boom - a very expensive way to get radio 4 in my kitchen! You get all proper radio stations that are available online.

ff can you explain the patch for spotify if you have a mo?

franke Sun 14-Nov-10 16:08:41

It's fantstic to listen to Today while I'm getting the dc ready in the morning - makes the whole process considerably less painful.

ChickFlit Sun 14-Nov-10 16:12:56

I have two, a Roberts radio alarm clock to wake me up in the morning and a Goodmans downstairs with Ipod dock. Brilliant, I love them. When we were shopping around when we bought ours (a few years ago now) to get the BBC sites the radios had to be REAL enabled - there were two different formats. I don't know whether this is still the case, but I'd double check that it is a REAL enabled radio if it's BBC stations you're wanting.

Didn't pay more than £60 for either of mine, but managed to get them both in sales.

frenchfancy Sun 14-Nov-10 16:44:27

franke, I got it from the squeezebox forum http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php search for spotify. You have to put a programme onto your computer but the geeks on the forum explain it quite well.

You have to get spotify running on the PC then point the squeezebox to the PC.

scaryteacher Sun 14-Nov-10 17:16:36

I have an IMP internet radio and I get all the proper BBC stations. I'm in Belgium.

Interesting about the Noxon - we've had one for a while and couldn't get the BBC stations - but as the manufacturer is a mate of ours, he was aware of this, as he asked why I bought an IMP rather than a Noxon and was trying to work around that.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 14-Nov-10 17:40:07

Ours is logitech and it is crap - would never recommend. Keeps losing the station, deleting favourites and telling us with a smirk on its face that it doesn't recognise our internet connection. I think it's only a matter of time before it goes through the window. When it does work, it is great - radio 4, no problem, stations from the US, great.

lummox Sun 14-Nov-10 19:13:04

This is so useful - thank you. MrsS - lol at the description, is that the Logitech squeezebox thingy or just an internet radio?

Nightfury - hope the PM crisis is over, and that it didn't involve the sinking feeling that a small child or animal must have swallowed something.

Franke - I would love the Today prog for the mornings. Also teatime stuff when preparing meals.

Chickflit - thank you for the tip on REAL, I will look out for it.

And scaryteacher thanks also. We are fairly close to Belgium (if that makes any difference) so will check out the IMP one.

There are so many of them to choose from that it is great to have actual recommendations (and makes to avoid). V grateful to hear of any more.

NightFury Sun 14-Nov-10 20:26:10

@scaryteacher - when we first got out Noxon we couldn't get BBC stations and couldn't fathom out why. I'd like to say that we solved the problem in some geeky way but we didn't. They just appeared all on their own. DH might be along in a moment to put in his oar about the Noxon as it does has some bad points.

@lummox Fortunately the PM crisis was easily handled and did not involve plumbing of any kind...

BTW being the saddo I am I take my Noxon on holiday with me. I don't know how much longer the USB port will last though as DS has discovered it...

Portofino Sun 14-Nov-10 21:55:49

We have a Squeezebox in Belgium, but if I was buying now, I would (just) get an iPod touch and some speakers. You can download the APP for free and get squillions of radio stations. And it is portable.

Portofino Sun 14-Nov-10 21:56:55

With the squeezebox we had to download a plug in from the internet to get the BBC.

Hardandsleazy Sun 14-Nov-10 22:00:16

Have a Roberts one - works fine for everything except live sport but iPod radio app also works

Missymoomum Mon 15-Nov-10 06:07:38

Have you got an ipod touch or an iphone? If so there is an app you can buy for just over £1 called Tunein radio and it's internet radio on your phone/ipod. It's really good and i've not had a problem with it and i live in Asia. Much cheaper than buying a radio!

lummox Mon 15-Nov-10 15:09:43

Good grief - I've just downloaded a £1.79 app for the ipad and there is radio 4 playing in my kitchen.

So if I can just stop ds2 trying to play angry birds as soon as he gets home from school I will be sorted.

Am soo excited. Thank you Missymoomum and portofino (and everyone else).

Missymoomum Tue 16-Nov-10 05:49:30

Good to hear you've got it sorted out, it's so good to be able to listen to your favourite radio programmes isn't it? Re. your son playing Angry Birds, the app runs in the background while you're doing other things although as i type this i've just realised that it may not work if the other app you're using has music in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now