Advanced search

start up capital for USA

(9 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 10-Nov-10 23:23:34

posted earlier that DH is thinking of applying for jobs in NYC/SanFran etc

we've been toing and froing becaue he wants to make sure it's viable before applying, and seems to think we'll need a good £5K or so before moving to cover cost.

What start up costs were involved when you moved to USA? Am assuming shipping stuff, deposit and at least 1st months' rent, flights...?


MmeOrangeBlackandBlueberry Wed 10-Nov-10 23:57:53

A lot more than 5k.

expatinscotland Thu 11-Nov-10 00:00:53

For SanFran or NYC? Way more than £5K.

Those cities are as expensive as London to live in.

Simbacatlives Thu 11-Nov-10 00:07:24

What nationality are you?

If you need a work visa the employer etc will usually pay for that - expensive and hard to get unless you are specialist. I seem to remember that the employer has to pay about a 1000 dollars- not sure if they can make you pay it.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 11-Nov-10 09:24:42

ugh poo, ok...thankyou, good to know what we need to set to get before moving then!

The plan would be DH getting a contract with Google or similar, so if permanent then I can work too, but I work in theatre so it would be a case of wait and see for me. We alo have 2yr old DS to consider when weighing up costs

We're british

expatinscotland Thu 11-Nov-10 10:14:47

You need a very generous relocation package if you are moving to either of those cities.

NYC and SanFran are always in the top 50 most expensive cities in the world to live in and NYC even outranks London, depending on the year.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 11-Nov-10 21:04:09

what about when people move without lot of years to save then? or does that jut not happen? I know it would prob take a good 6 months between job offer and visa but no way could we ave over 5K in 6 month!

MmeOrangeBlackandBlueberry Thu 11-Nov-10 22:12:58

He's highly unlikely to get a permanent job offer. Without knowing any more details that you have posted here, it looks like he would be on a H1B visa, which is temporary.

It would take quite a few years before he would have a green card, and you to be able to work as his dependent.

Your best bet for working is to get a H1B in your own right. This is what most working couples do.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sun 14-Nov-10 19:15:10

Thanks Mme to be honest we're literally only jut looking into it now before he starts the application process so very green about it all. Highly unlikely I'd be able to apply for a H1B in my own right, being a theatre director, am assuming I'd have to be there and create work before making contacts who'd then offer me contracted work.

Have a friend who's just moved with her husband getting a contract job with Pixar to SanFran which apparently is similar to what we'd expect from Google so great to have lots of sources of information

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: