Anyone in Brittany?

(4 Posts)
ScouseNet Wed 10-Nov-10 18:34:42

We're thinking of taking the plunge and buying in Brittany and wondered if any Mumsnetter's were out there.

We're looking at the southern part, as the weather seems slightly more clement. Work not a problem DH self employed and can carry on as he is now. I'd quite like a little something to keep me occupied and am toying with the idea of buying a property big enough to have a gite or chambre d'hote.

We have two DCs 6 and 4, what is the education system like? I've heard mixed reports.

More importantly have you found it easy to make friends and integrate? My French isn't too bad, have an A level and we regularly go to France on holiday and I always manage to communicate fine in French. Have had holiday visits to hospitals for broken bones etc so not just ordering a glass of wine with dinner.

Look forward to hearing from you.

OP’s posts: |
scouserabroad Thu 11-Nov-10 22:33:14

I'm in Brittany, been here for nearly 5 years. I have two DDs, 4 and 3, both at a jardin d'enfants (preschool, almost the same as maternelle) where they both seem happy at the moment - 4 y o is starting to learn the alphabet / numbers, although there is loads of "fun" stuff too - painting, stories, outdoor games, etc. I think that when they are 5 or 6 and enter school proper, there is a lot more emphasis on sitting down and learning. Not sure though, maybe someone with older dc can answer that.

I'm in a very small town and haven't found it easy to make friends tbh, it just isn't that easy to meet people. Actually for a couple of years I was busy just looking after the DDs (15 month age gap). I did find that almost everyone here seems to have known each other for years, and it was difficult being new, I do speak french so it wasn't a language problem. Everyone is nice but it's difficult making actual friends as opposed to just acquaintances. I think this is a common problem for people who move abroad, or just move around full stop. It's getting better now that the DDs are at school

jenpet Sun 14-Nov-10 10:17:01

Just sent you a pm

scouserabroad Sat 27-Nov-10 08:40:23

Jenpet, have just replied to your pm.

BTW just noticed that the OP in this thread has a similar name to me, but we are not the same person

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in