Single mum returning to the UK where is the best place to settle with kids

(5 Posts)
bdamum Sun 26-Sep-10 01:49:38

I was born in England but raised in Bermuda. I want to relocate to England near Birmingham or Manchester as I have family there and wish to give my 3 kids (ages 2,9,and 18) a good education. I am also looking to return myself. Being a single mom, i would appreciate some tips on the best location to raise my family, and recommendation on primary schools etc. Its all so overwhelming after living on a small island. Help....

OP’s posts: |
longgrasswhispers Tue 28-Sep-10 17:52:44

Didn't want to leave your post unanswered, but I think anywhere around Newark, Nottinghamshire would be pretty good. There is a very good primary school in North Muskham (a lovely village with relatively cheap housing in comparison with the South and even parts of Yorkshire) for example.

Take a look. Also check out a website called Upmystreet (can't remember if it's .com or .co.uk) but it gives you crime rates for all areas and a description of the type of people who live there, and an idea of house prices.

Newark is closeto the A1 and has a good rail link into London, and if you were working, there's quite a few large towns and cities around.

mixedupmartha Fri 01-Oct-10 19:54:07

Gosh, your searh area is pretty wide!

I live in a semi-rural village close to Manchester. We have an excellent primary school, decent high school and private school option with bus that passes the house.

I guess oyu need to decide between Nottingham and Manchester. If you chose the latter, I can perhaps advise.

QueenofWhatever Fri 01-Oct-10 20:41:26

I live in Bristol and it works for me. I would come over and post in lone parents, we're very friendly!

Aminata100 Fri 01-Oct-10 22:54:09

I would suggest where you have the best family support, can't be easy coming back with 3 kids after having been away so long, have you looked into housing, employment and/or benefits, etc by googling it?
Sure someone else can direct you to the right websites!

Have you got some money to tide you over?

I'm a single mum too and I have been applying for jobs - even living here, don't even get so much as a "thanks but no thanks", nor does my 19-year-old shock

What with the recession, and cut-backs, things are pretty dire at the moment (or is that an understatement?)!

Wish you all the best, anyway!

hmm, Bermuda, can we do a swap?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in