Moving to Sweden...where to start??

(5 Posts)
VeeBee3 Fri 17-Sep-10 20:14:50

Hi i'm hoping that i may be able to find some advice and be pointed in the right direction to make this huge move.

My husband was made redundant in July, but has now been offered a Job in Sweden. So he will be going ahead to Gotland mid October and we will all follow at some point after. We have 3 children the 15yrs, 4yrs, and 1 yr.

I really need some help in working out what to do next, my husband will look for somewhere to rent once he's out there, but i just can't seem to get my head around what needs to be done. We will need to rent out our house here in England, but other than that i can't seem to figure out what else needs sorting in order for us to move. Has anyone done the same or similar how did you go about it and did you use a relocation agent?

I think that maybe i'm too excited to be able to think straight so will appreciate any advice i can get!

TIA x

OP’s posts: |
howdidthishappenthen Fri 17-Sep-10 20:20:29

IIRC from my time in Sweden.
1:Apply for a temporary residents card early - took me a year of calls to get mine, and they're asked for frequently as a form of ID
2: Book a date to get a phone line connected as soon as you have an address - takes a couple of weeks
3: Find out from your bank how to use your account out there, or if you need a new one.
4: Signup for language classes at http://www.folkuniversitetet.se/ (cheap, fun, meet other new expats).
5: teh book 'Culture Shock Sweden' from Amazon. Very informative, very funny, all true.
6: Practise eating raw herring for breakfast. Takes a while, I love it now :-)
7: Look forward to it. I lived there alone for a year in my twenties, have very fond memories, go back for holidays, still have Swedish mates. It's an easy country for Brits to relocate to.

VeeBee3 Fri 17-Sep-10 20:57:37

That was quick!

Thanks, was just looking at the information on ID card, they say you have 3 months to apply for one. Hadn't even thought about a phone line so will ensure DH sorts that out when he finds us somewhere.

Thanks for the recommendation have just ordered the book on Amazon. Not sure i'd ever get used to eating raw herring for breakfast or at any other time of day grin!!

I'm definately looking forward to it as i'm sure it will prove to be an adventure even though the task of moving seems very daunting at the moment!

Any ideas on where to start this end, before DH sets off?

howdidthishappenthen Fri 17-Sep-10 21:10:09

I'm guessing schools would prob be the first priority? Can't help there though I'm afraid.. my experinces are all BC (Before Children)... I would think the Swedish Embassy would be able to advise - or this place perhaps, where some friends of mine educate their kids: http://www.swedishschool.org.uk/index.php?option=c om_content&view=article&id=221&Itemid=241

VeeBee3 Fri 17-Sep-10 21:22:23

Have thought of the schools, but will have to look into college courses/options for my DD, will contact the embassy for help with that. The DS1 has only just started school here so will have to sort pre school place for him and there's no rush for the 1yr old yet. Will take a look at the link thanks

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in