British Mums in USA - what do you miss?

(31 Posts)
twolittlemonkeys Tue 27-Jul-10 19:57:04

I could really use your help - I'm sending a package to my friend in the States and want to send things she can't get Stateside, eg Cadbury's chocolate, Birds Custard powder etc.

What things (mainly foody I suppose) do you miss living overseas?

OP’s posts: |
Ponders Tue 27-Jul-10 20:07:15

Unless you want it to be a total surprise I'd ask her what she misses, tlm. There are foreign food shops & websites there so sending things she can't get there at all would be nicest!

twolittlemonkeys Tue 27-Jul-10 20:16:35

I know she'd like some Galaxy fruit and nut (which so far I haven't found in Sainsburys or Asda!) but want to put in some surprises too. Thanks for the link Ponders

Ponders Tue 27-Jul-10 20:27:37

Did she used to read any magazines here? (Thinking of the thin weekly ones rather than the big fat monthlies which would cost a fortunes to post!)

I'm racking my brians to think of other special, lightweight, things you probably can't easily get there - maybe local stuff? Where did she live over here?

newpup Tue 27-Jul-10 20:32:39

Marmite
PG tips
The Sunday Times

Probably not too easy to post the Marmite or Times!

newpup Tue 27-Jul-10 20:33:22

Forgot, local newspaper from her hometown.

twolittlemonkeys Tue 27-Jul-10 20:45:52

Ah, great idea about the newspaper or magazine. Hmmm, thinking about it I'm not sure what magazines she used to read. I'll get a Coventry Evening Telegraph for her next time I'm over that way LOL...

Advertisement

SatinandTat Tue 27-Jul-10 23:26:30

I second the magazines and newspapers. If she has young children then how about a little packet or two of Haribos. Apparently they just don't taste the same here. Proper Worcestershire Sauce - the one here is just wrong. Hmmm it is difficult - After many years I have managed to source just about everything I need. When I am in England I love to look at what's new and different, orange kitkats are still a huge novelty to me and I always bring back a few multipacks.
I am sure she will just appreciate your effort and kindness whatever you send.

rosietoes Wed 28-Jul-10 09:53:48

When I go to USA, I always have to bring Smarties and Hello.

tadjennyp Thu 29-Jul-10 06:27:17

Jacobs Club Orange and custard creams!

Grockle Thu 29-Jul-10 13:48:43

People used to bring/ send me:

Biscuits (bourbons, custard creams, caramel wafers etc)
Hula Hoops
Other crisps - skips, frazzles, McCoys etc
Lemsips
Oxo cubes/ Marigold powder
Tea
Hair Straightening stuff
Custard
Angel Delight

loads of other things but I forget what

Grockle Thu 29-Jul-10 13:49:51

Chocolate digestives, Cadbury's chocolate - dairy milk, flake, twirl, DS loved getting malteasers

howdoo Thu 29-Jul-10 13:59:42

Marmite
Bisto gravy granules
Dark Kit Kats
Cadbury's Fruit and Nut
Heat etc magazines

Earlybird Thu 29-Jul-10 15:19:05

Chocolate Buttons - much nicer than Hershey Kisses

Rich tea biscuits - with and without chocolate

Percy Pigs

Salt and Vinegar crisps - they have BBQ, Sour Cream etc here, but not vinegar

Jammie Dodgers - they can be found here, but not easily

Teddy Crispies (for the kids)

alarkaspree Thu 29-Jul-10 15:22:50

I live in NYC so I can get everything, pretty much, but the things I bulk-buy when we are in the UK are marmite and loose-leaf tea.

The children love getting smarties and UK kids magazines in packages from Granny.

Nice sausages, but you probably can't post those.

haggisaggis Thu 29-Jul-10 15:31:16

Earlybird - the supermarket we used when on holiday on Cape Cod last week stocked Lays salt & vinegar crisps! Was so surprised to see them as they didn't exist last yer

tadjennyp Fri 30-Jul-10 00:03:23

If only Lays would do the cheese and onion I would be happy! Haven't seen you girls on the living in America thread lately sad

stripeyknickersspottysocks Fri 30-Jul-10 00:17:44

Heat magazine
Smarties
Tea

is what my friend misses. I spent a fortune posting Cadburys stuff for Xmas. The day afetr I posted it she updated her FB to say she'd found a shop that stocked proper English Cadburys!

GoingRodeoBaby Mon 02-Aug-10 03:05:38

Newspapers, especially the tabloids. There is nothing like that here that I have found (although please correct me if you know of any!)

Alouiseg Mon 02-Aug-10 03:12:18

Ribena.

redflipflops Mon 02-Aug-10 19:12:34

yes Ribena mmmm

Tea, Marmite, Cadburys Choc and salt & vinegar crisps!

BertieBotts Mon 02-Aug-10 19:21:45

shock What flavour crisps do they have in the US then if they don't have cheese and onion and salt and vinegar?

Grockle Mon 02-Aug-10 20:57:42

Erm, Mainly

Ready Salted
Barbeque
Cheese (sour cream and cheese etc)

and I saw lemon ones today

and variations on the above

No:
Bacon
Prawn Cocktail
Beef
Salt and vinegar
cheese and onion

Can you still get tomato sauce flavoured crisps in the UK? Everyone ate those when I was little.

FellatioNelson Mon 02-Aug-10 21:57:49

Hello A Having a lovely time? Can't wait to see your lovely Alcatraz sweatshirt.grin

What is it with US soft drinks? Aisles and aisles of Gatorade and 'sodas' and lurid ready-diluted cordials, but no decent squashes. Or any squashes, come to that.

(My mum bought my DCs Alcatraz t-shirts last year and they are brilliant quality, and wash up really well, as do most American t-shirts.)

Roxy is missing her Boyf, BTW. wink She can't wait to snarl at him!

FellatioNelson Mon 02-Aug-10 21:59:32

Anyway, OP, I would say definitely chocolate. American 'chocolate' is vile - not worthy of the word. Also Marmite.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in