Talk

Advanced search

DH - Diabetic Kidney Disease

(3 Posts)
childrenwithneeds Tue 26-Mar-19 21:59:36

My DH (45 yrs old) has been diabetic for 25 years... we've found out that his kidneys are failing. He had extremely high blood pressure and that has caused these problems. We don't know how long he has been 'suffering' as he never had any symptoms. We've found out from the consultant that untreated his kidneys have 3-5 years but keeping him well the consultant said 'can add a few more years onto that'.

DH I think is breaking down emotionally. He doesn't want to spend time at home with kids as he is worried he is going to snap and shout at them when it's not their fault, he's crying as the fear of not being there for them when he is older and he doesn't want to be a burden on me - he said what life would I have having to look after him and the possibility of him being on dialysis. I said he is not a burden and should not think like that. I hadn't even thought of that at all. He is spending time with a friend just sitting and talking but am worried for him. I don't think he will do anything silly or stupid in that way but I've been giving him space to accept everything and for him to clear his mind but I don't know what to say to him. I don't know how to help him help himself except reassure him and give him the time and space.

Any ideas on what I can do to help him or say to him...xx

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
t1mum3 Wed 27-Mar-19 15:30:02

I'm so sorry to hear this. You sound lovely.

You might want to repost this in the diabetes section for a little bit more traffic?

I'm not sure what the position is with psychological support in adult care but this is obviously really significant for your family. Does he have a DSN who might be able to point you in the direction of some support?

Additionally, there is a bit of a campaign online to reduce the stigma and guilt which is associated with complications. Have a look here twicediabetes.com/welcome/

childrenwithneeds Wed 27-Mar-19 16:54:00

Thank you... I didn't realise there was a diabetic bit.

X

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in